New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Eibach's - my review

Old 08-23-2010, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy,Aug 23 2010, 10:18 AM
As the car settles on the springs a bit more, you will probably see a
little more drop. I was told the total drop is about 1 1/4", so if you have an inch already you may get another 1/4", again subtle.
I'll leave the tape on the driveway so I can park the car right back into the same spot
I'll take some pics next week and see what the difference is, and if one can even be seen
By the looks of it by next week the car will have another 400-miles on it thanks to that f'ing bridge
Old 08-23-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^ While your at it measure the height to your frame. Than compare again in 2 weeks.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:39 AM

I'll try to remember to do so tonight
Old 08-23-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Aug 23 2010, 08:55 AM
The drop is indeed 1"
The pics have a hard time capturing the effect 100%
The only way the shots could have told the whole story is if they were taken with a strong flash
The lowered pic puts more of the top of the tire's sidewall into a shadow, which makes the gap look bigger than it is
The reason I greyscaled the images was so I could push the shadow detail and not confuse everybody by so many different shades of yellow
The drop is indeed 1"
John- this is the same pic, just another adjustment to the shadow area, as you can see once you see the complete top of the tire the drop amount becomes very clear. With the tire tucked up into the fender more, the shadow is causing you to not see the top of the tire in the first shot.

Original shot showing Eibach on front

Same shot as above but adjusted to open up the shadow area
Old 08-23-2010, 10:50 AM

And the before shot adjusted
Old 08-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Received 354 Likes on 217 Posts

Doug and others, I have a question. I understood that the S2000 was very carefully calibrated at the factory for performance and handling. Is the reason that aftermarket springs improve handling because Honda had to reach a balance between road comfort and performance?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave, I think Honda messed up that part. If you research suspensions Honda seems to have changed it in some way almost every year the S was produced.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Headchef,Aug 23 2010, 02:30 PM
I understood that the S2000 was very carefully calibrated at the factory for performance and handling. Is the reason that aftermarket springs improve handling because Honda had to reach a balance between road comfort and performance?
Dave's point is valid, Honda has been adjusting the suspension throughout many of the production years, they have continued to move in the direction of making it softer, and more forgiving, less prone to loosing it when the driver does something ham fisted

IMHO, in simple terms yes; Honda like so many companies, they strive for the sacred middle ground and hope that sells the greatest number of units

The Eibachs are probably way too stiff for the average driver, just look at what Honda did over the years, they kept making it softer and softer in hopes of increasing its appeal, so going stiffer would not be advisable for the masses according to the bean counters

Also, the 1" lower may not seem like a lot, but it puts a great deal more responsibility on the driver to pay the f attention to what they are doing. That woodchuck in the road, YOU CANNOT drive over that now, you have to drive around it
Old 08-23-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 354 Likes on 217 Posts

Doug, where did you buy your springs?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of brand new, never installed Eibach springs sitting in a box in my basement. I wil likely not be installing them any time soon. I like the look of a lowered suspension but having to lower my sorry a$$ another inch when getting in the car is out of the question. Even worse would be getting out of the car. Great write up though.

Quick Reply: Eibach's - my review