New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

July 6 & 7 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA

Old 07-10-2015, 06:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s200059
I will be posting video soon.

Does anyone have video from the 1st INT session on Tues morning ?

Any videos from the Novice sessions ?
I believe I do have video from the first session on day 2. I'll check when I get home. Would you like me to post it up if I do?

And Aashish go figure I called every garage in town and nobody has stickers at the moment lol.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:37 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv
Originally Posted by s200059' timestamp='1436537933' post='23676358

I believe I do have video from the first session on day 2. I'll check when I get home. Would you like me to post it up if I do?

And Aashish go figure I called every garage in town and nobody has stickers at the moment lol.

That would be great if you do. looking for some video in which Jake did his only run in Intermediate.

He was faster than 90 % of the Novice drivers and we really should have been in the intermediate class all along, but it just didn't work out that way.

Next time he will start in INT and stay there for the entire event.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:44 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Greg - novice videos starting from here

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/111...t__p__23674346

I too have a video from that session. Won't be able to upload it until Monday night. Club Trials at Thompson tomorrow followed by autocross on Sunday.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by mswitz88
Originally Posted by blueosprey90' timestamp='1436470546' post='23675524
Matt, we all start with different abusive habits before this addiction really takes hold. Don't worry that you started with oregano. You'll need your fix of heroin soon enough!

How did you friends make out. Hopefully they all enjoyed the track as much as you did.

Learning to downshift like the "pros" is not so easy. So just relax and take your time.

I've been driving for 6 years and I still had a ton of mis-shifts - so much so that Rob driving the rental Miata was joking that he was sending out mis-shift radar whenever he saw me getting a little too close. I have trouble finding the right gear on a downshift, looking for 4th and sometimes finding 2nd and sometimes finding 6th.

To heal and toe, I've found that my knee has to be bent, so need to move the seat forward a notch or two. Then I'm braking with my right toes on the upper right hand corner of the brake pedal and blipping the throttle with the outside part of my right foot that I'm more or less rolling over - thus the need for the bent knee. Downshifting two gears for Turn 1 is a real thrill (Not!)

One of the other considerations that I find helpful is to complete the downshifting before turning in. Not so easy if one starts a little too late. But on a high speed corner like Turn 10, our cars can easily carry 80 mph in 4th gear so getting down to 4th by say the 100 ft brakeboard is pretty easy - then just throttle on through.

One of the fastest ways to spin a car is to downshift into too low of a gear - say going from 5th to 4th and hitting 2nd. Always be ready to instantaneously push that clutch back in if the car over-revs.

I'm not sure about rev matching, but you definitely need to blip the throttle when downshifting. One might accuse me of over-blipping.

Part of track day success is track management - knowing who is where, getting the faster cars pointed by and off of you tail and hitting your marks. Use the video as an educational tool. Look at your lines. Look where you turn in. See where you can improve. Watching my own videos teaches me that I'm a chronic early apexer, so I'm reminded to try to cure that bad habit. On track out, if I see that the car is not carrying me all the way to the track out point tells me that I have more speed in that corner.

But don't wait a whole year before going out.
So I'm headed towards heroin, huh? haha. I need to start practicing my heel-toes during normal driving just to get the feel for the movements down. I keep watching all these videos of you guys doing seamless downshifts and realizing how far away I am from that. I didn't seem to have too much trouble with gear selection, it's just that using 3 pedals with two feet thing I've gotta work on. I am also a chronic early apexer according to my instructors so I need to work on car placement on track as well. I really wish I had video from the 4th session because I drove the car much different and it felt 100x better in terms of speed and consistency. One thing I learned Tuesday is you can never have enough data. I have the Torque Pro app but completely forgot to turn it on and I only have gopro footage from 2 out of 4 sessions so next time I will be focusing my car/personal prep on data acquisition so I have more info to review afterwords to learn from. I will also be investing in some sort of lap timer (Probably Harry's). My biggest asset this early in my tracking career will be learning how to be a better driver.

Originally Posted by shiv
Regarding downshifting and heel-toe, Enrique made a point during the driver's meeting which helped me become much smoother. His point was to heel-toe/downshift at the slowest point before the corner. Although simple, I feel that it made a noticeable difference. Prior to this, I would heel-toe/downshift not at the slowest point, but at the point where the engine RPM was low enough that I would not over-rev the engine. This resulted in a jerky deceleration period which of course upsets the car prior to the turn and I'm sure extends braking distance. Amazing how small changes add up to a noticeable difference.
I will have to try this the next time out as well. I wish it was cheaper to do track days because I would do 1 a week if it was but my wife would probably kill me lol.

One of the most common problems that beginners face is learning the proper heel/toe. Many drivers just down shift and dump the clutch which results in a slight locking of the wheels (you hear the chirp) and it ultimately slows the car. Biggest problem here is that if you try to use the method in the rain or on a cold track the likely hood of a spin out is greatly increased.

One of the biggest aids in learning heel/toe is to have the proper driving shoes, one with a very thin soul. This allows you feel the peddle and also feel where your foot is placed on the peddle. I place my foot 1/2 way on the brake peddle and use the roll method. it ain't pretty but it works for me. If you don't have the coin for eral raaing shoes then get a pair of wrestling shoes, they are great for driving.

Second problem is usually the peddles themselves, it helps to install a wide brake/gas peddle so they are closer together. You also need the brake peddle to be at the same height as the gas peddle when the brake is fully engaged. if you check you will find that this is NOT the case for most S2000 with stock peddles. If you look at my brake peddle it has a 1.25 inch booster plate bolted to the front of it and my gas peddle is replaced by a wider plate to bring the two closer together.

Also I feel those little nubs on the peddles get in the way.

BTW - Best place to practice is on the street...not the track.

[attachment=82138edal1.jpg]

[attachment=82139edal2.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails July 6 & 7 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA-pedal1.jpg  
Old 07-10-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Look in to doing NASA NE events. They typically have them on weekends. Other than NJMP you should be good at other tracks. If you are going to make this a habit, I think both Eddie and you should consider a roll bar.
already on it! Actually looked through the guidelines just now regarding rollbars at njmp, they used the s2000 as an example of an acceptable type of convertible. Will phone them later to double check, if all is good, I'll be at njmp on the 25th/26th!
Old 07-10-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
To heal and toe, I've found that my knee has to be bent, so need to move the seat forward a notch or two. Then I'm braking with my right toes on the upper right hand corner of the brake pedal and blipping the throttle with the outside part of my right foot that I'm more or less rolling over - thus the need for the bent knee. Downshifting two gears for Turn 1 is a real thrill (Not!)
So I played around with heel-toeing on a short drive tonight and tried putting my toes up higher on the brake pedal and it actually helped me get my heel over to the gas pedal. My foot isn't quite wide enough to have a comfortable amount of the side of my foot on the brake and roll the other side over to the gas but I can swing my heel over. I still have a lot of practicing to do but thank you for that tip!
Old 07-10-2015, 05:34 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

To add to what Greg said, one of my mentors at my first track day with BMW CCA at Watkins Glen told me to practice heel-toe on the way home. He said that when he started he would drive through every highway rest area so he could practice that. On the way back home, I went through all the rest areas. It still took me a good year, and then at my second track day, it clicked and I was finally able to get into 5th and then downshift. Im still not perfect, but getting there.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:05 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Nothing great about this video, but the view is a little different.

Tony at about 7:55. Aashish at about 11:45
I like this view. Should have followed you around for a bit. Really helps to see what I am doing right or wrong.

BTW, I thought I should share this with the group.

Elivan's email after the event
Thank you for all of your efforts Aashish, we really enjoyed having you and your group out with us!

Ian's email after the event
Our pleasure hosting the S2K crowd.
Nice folks, cool car.
We are certainly willing to extend a similar discount next season!
Thank you and the crew for your business!
Old 07-11-2015, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by pgss2k
Originally Posted by A 2' timestamp='1436450528' post='23675072
I missed seeing Lisa, Anne & Paul this year.

Paul was there in spirit sending encouraging texts all through the day. He said I should be shouldering some of Greg's load, but it seemed like everyone did very well and did not need any hand holding.
We missed being there too. Seems like another successful event. Have not had time to watch any vids yet but glad they are all posted for later consumption! Glad no one had anything that prevented them from getting home. Keep helping each other and before you know there will be a tribe of fast S2K drivers out there.

We are working hard remodeling our new place and I have not had time to even clean the mud off the S from its last Palmer outing before we left!
Get all that work done by Sept 20th so you can come to Daytona and watch the race !! I have a good feeling that I will get an invite if I can stay in the top 3 in the Divisional series. Thee are only 2 races left and I don't think the guys in 3rd and 4th are running Watkins next w/e.

[attachment=82151:stu9.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails July 6 & 7 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA-stu9.jpg  
Old 07-11-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s200059
Originally Posted by shiv' timestamp='1436538785' post='23676374
[quote name='s200059' timestamp='1436537933' post='23676358']

That would be great if you do. looking for some video in which Jake did his only run in Intermediate.

He was faster than 90 % of the Novice drivers and we really should have been in the intermediate class all along, but it just didn't work out that way.

Next time he will start in INT and stay there for the entire event.
[/quote]

Greg I have the footage but after looking it over, I never encountered Jake during that session. I can still throw the video up if you would like me to.

Quick Reply: July 6 & 7 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA