New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

July 6 & 7 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA

Old 05-15-2015, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do we know for sure if this event will require a roll bar for the S? I do not pass the broomstick test with the factory hoops and don't know if I will be able to get a roll bar before the event...
Old 05-15-2015, 06:11 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by mswitz88
Do we know for sure if this event will require a roll bar for the S? I do not pass the broomstick test with the factory hoops and don't know if I will be able to get a roll bar before the event...
SCDA is fine with the stock S2000. Several stock S2000s have been running. The problem is not with the organizers. Track workers could flag you down if you are running top down and your head is sticking above the hoops.

My suggestion is to move the seat as forward as you can and recline the seat back and run with the top up.

If you need a rollbar installed talk to Jake on here about it. He lives in the Albany area and will do a clean install. He did mine for me and did a great job.

Now if you are running in novice you probably won't be going as fast and you will also have an instructor who will do his bit to keep you safe. If you are running intermediate and this becomes a regular thing for you then you should consider a roll bar.

You can also check with Ian from SCDA on their S2000 policy. Ian@scda1.com
Old 05-15-2015, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
SCDA is fine with the stock S2000. Several stock S2000s have been running. The problem is not with the organizers. Track workers could flag you down if you are running top down and your head is sticking above the hoops.

My suggestion is to move the seat as forward as you can and recline the seat back and run with the top up.

If you need a rollbar installed talk to Jake on here about it. He lives in the Albany area and will do a clean install. He did mine for me and did a great job.

Now if you are running in novice you probably won't be going as fast and you will also have an instructor who will do his bit to keep you safe. If you are running intermediate and this becomes a regular thing for you then you should consider a roll bar.

You can also check with Ian from SCDA on their S2000 policy. Ian@scda1.com
A roll bar is on my list of things to get since I plan to begin doing this more regularly but I can't get one before this event and I really wanted to attend it. I have a racing seat that I need to install that will put me quite a bit lower in the car so that will help with the corner worker situation. I will email Ian just to be safe though. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-15-2015, 09:34 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Sounds good Matt. When you are ready let me know and I can send you the code for registration. Thanks

Be sure to let Ian know you've been talking to me and plan to be there with the S2000 group.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:51 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Matt - I think you've heard from Ian by now. If you are interested shoot me a PM with info requested from the OP.

FYI - there has never been an S2000 that has been turned away by SCDA at any of the events that I've been to over the past few years. It would be great to meet you if you can come.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on guys we need more ! What was last year 11 cars?
Getting my car ready in time I hope ... Just broke a pulley that's on my blower ... So sent it bak to Kraftwerks and I just got it bak today ..
Gunna install and see how it goes.. And found some metal in my diff fluid and on magnet so I am waiting on a Cnc 8.8 ford conversion kit .. Comin soon
Old 05-15-2015, 03:42 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by chefs2000
Come on guys we need more ! What was last year 11 cars?
Getting my car ready in time I hope ... Just broke a pulley that's on my blower ... So sent it bak to Kraftwerks and I just got it bak today ..
Gunna install and see how it goes.. And found some metal in my diff fluid and on magnet so I am waiting on a Cnc 8.8 ford conversion kit .. Comin soon
we get a bigger group together this time.

Good luck with getting the car fixed
Old 05-16-2015, 06:15 AM

Received 196 Likes on 169 Posts

Matt: I assume you would be running Novice with an instructor. Most groups want the seat and seat belt arrangement to be the same for both the driver and the instructor, who will be siting in the passenger seat. So that means that if you put a race seat in driver's side, would also usually be necessary for passenger side. Also, if running a race seat, should be using a racing harness.

See if you can fit in the car with a helmet on. I sit a bit too tall to pass the broomstick test. When I go through tech, I usually slide the seat forward a click or two - adjust back after tech inspection - but I always run top up and never had a problem.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:33 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Matt: I assume you would be running Novice with an instructor. Most groups want the seat and seat belt arrangement to be the same for both the driver and the instructor, who will be siting in the passenger seat. So that means that if you put a race seat in driver's side, would also usually be necessary for passenger side. Also, if running a race seat, should be using a racing harness.

See if you can fit in the car with a helmet on. I sit a bit too tall to pass the broomstick test. When I go through tech, I usually slide the seat forward a click or two - adjust back after tech inspection - but I always run top up and never had a problem.
He emailed Ian who told him that the seat change is ok with SCDA. I think he should just bring the car as-is if it is his first track day. OR maybe install the BYS seat rails or is that buddy club seat rails
Old 05-16-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Originally Posted by blueosprey90' timestamp='1431785724' post='23614955

He emailed Ian who told him that the seat change is ok with SCDA. I think he should just bring the car as-is if it is his first track day. OR maybe install the BYS seat rails or is that buddy club seat rails
Both those are types of sear rails. Not sure if BYS (back yard specials) are still available.
As an instructor I would want my life valued as much as the students. It's only fair!

Quick Reply: July 6 & 7 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA