New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State
View Poll Results: Are you willing to travel 0.2 mile on a dirt road (total 0.4 mile), centrally located, to picnic for
Yes
87.50%
No
12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Question for Solidarity Drive V

Old 07-23-2012, 06:05 AM

Received 195 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Question for Solidarity Drive V

OK. The lunch stop (if we have one) is always a problem. Few places to begin with. Few places to serve a crowd.

My camp is across from the Lincoln Pond Campground. You should have passed it twice on Saturday. If you remember seeing the island near the causeway, it was the highest building (with the open lawn) behind the island (of course, depending on where you were viewing from). The dirt road in is fairly smooth, but it is dirt/gravel. The biggest risk is the car getting dusty. The LPW DPW (Wayne Johnson) does a pretty good job of keeping it smooth. There is plenty of parking on the grass for at least 20 cars, although not all together in one spot.

I've always hesitated to stop there because I sense that some would object strongly to the dirt road. But if you were willing to park on the side of the Lincoln Pond Road (Route7) it is a 5 minute walk in.

Anyway, I could probably arrange to get some deli sandwiches and chips from the local grocery store or down in Saratoga the night before. Maybe just a couple dozen sandwiches from the Sunway Sandwich Shop. Drinks not an issue. I would just load up the coolers Saturday morning.

The advantages: 1) centrally located and easy to stop around noon. 2) food service will be fast. 3) nice break in the drive where we could visit with each other and regale ourselves with tales of the morning experience. 4) bathroom. The disadvantages: 1) dirt road; 2) not much choice of menu.

Brian asked about staying over the night before. That would not work for me, as I have the camp to go to. I usually work on Friday night and drive up after work, arriving between 11:00 p.m. and midnight. But there is at least one newer hotel in Ticonderoga (and plenty of hotels in Lake George.) I could try to arrange a discount price on the hotel for Friday night in Ticonderoga if there is sufficient interest.

Next year, however, we might start at Exit 30 as in year's past given Levi's comment about doing the drive in reverse order.

Cheers!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:03 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Jeff, I voted YES to all of the above.

Regardless of the answers to the poll, I will say this. The drive organizer has to have fun planning and organizing the route. The moment it ceases to be fun and turns into a chore you will not enjoy it and do not let any such arrangements get to the point where they seem tasking. I for one like the seat of the pants approach we have followed until now. I was also fine with the delays as it was a great day to be out in the company of friends. Both JJ and I had a great time
Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted YES on the first two. The only reason I voted no on the hotel is because I live close enough that it wouldn't be necessary.

I also didn't mind the wait at the diner as I wasn't in a rush. The food was good, plus it gave me time to wipe our car down

With that being said, stopping at Jeff's camp would be an awesome idea. Easy parking which is a big one. Would also be a much better place to hang and socialize with the group. As long as the road is in good shape, a little dust won't hurt anyone. If I'm cool with it I'd imagine most others will be.

I'm pretty anal about stuff like that
Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

It is great of you to offer your camp as a stop Jeff, but I wouldn't want to make any unecessary work for you & Nancy. You already do a lot planning this event. The Noon Mark Rest. would have gone over better but they had the deck area closed do to resurfacing of the wood. That made the group get all split up for seating and less socializing .
If some people decide to spend the nite before or after I'd probably join them for drinks and shooting the bull.
It will depend on how many/if any decide on that option.
Levi
Old 07-23-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I like the idea of some time to hang out with the group. A group meet at a motel the night before would be nice.

Lunch at the camp sounds great. It would be easy for everyone to pack a few drinks in a cooler and bring cookies or chips. Chip in $5 a piece for some subs or sandwiches.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Voted yes for all, but who knows if I'll even have time to play
Right now I'm not even sure I can get the S out of the garage
My house has me by the short hairs, and it sucks...
Old 07-24-2012, 03:28 PM

I voted yes to all (I lived on a dirt road in VT with first S) I the diner though - breakfast all day!!!

I will suffer thru eating a nasty sub if need be since I like the rest of the pros for a camp stop - just need a veggie or egg salad.

I'd be happy to pay $10 for an entire lunch if possible, as carting water and snacks 4 hours from home will be a real PITA.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:08 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tadashi
I'd be happy to pay $10 for an entire lunch if possible, as carting water and snacks 4 hours from home will be a real PITA.
Hmmm...I brought drinks and snacks from Rochester...4-days worth.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:58 AM

Nice cooler bag! Can I get one with Honda logo?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:34 PM

I am excited for the next one though I will not have a s2k. I will have to figure it out when the time comes but I will definitely be there.

Quick Reply: Question for Solidarity Drive V