New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State
View Poll Results: Replace or have exisiting rotors turned?
Replace
72.73%
Have the rotors turned
9.09%
Other - See response below
0%
Do nothing, save your money
9.09%
No Idea of what to do
9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Rotors on Si - Replace or Turn?

Old 09-15-2012, 06:41 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Rotors on Si - Replace or Turn?

OK, so I've had the Si for a little over 4 years now. The car has 45K miles on it and has been through four winters. It is a daily driver now although I could take it to the track on the odd occasion if the rules of the group don't allow S2000's.

I've not had problems with the pedal modulation nor do I feel any kind of pulsing from the brakes. That could be because the car is mostly driven around town and around country roads where the speed limit is no higher than 55 MPH.

With 45K miles since 2008, I have now been paying attention to the brakes. On the rare occasion I will hear a squeal coming from the brakes as I am coming to a stop. Don't hear it all the time, but only once in a while. I looked at the front pads and they have material on them. However the rotors as you will see below look like they will either need to be turned or replaced.

Please answer the poll above as to what you think I should do - "turn" or "replace" and also suggest what I can replace with. Should I go OEM or look at Brembo/Centric Premium or any other brand. NO, I dont want to go the drilled or slotted route so please don't suggest that. I've had enough fear put in my heart to ever consider using drilled or slotted rotors and I prefer my brakes to be functional than for the looks

I have a set of OEM pads for the Si and those will go on as well as a brake fluid flush.

So to reiterate, here are the questions I seek answers to:
1. Replace or Turn or Do Nothing
2. If replacing, what rotors would you recommend?

If you think you need more info, please don't hesitate to ask. I trust the wisdom of this group

Left Front Rotor

Left Rear Rotor
Old 09-15-2012, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2 ¢

Just replace them, turning is a real waste in my book, rotors are not that costly. The more metal you take off a rotor, the more likely it will warp in the future. To me a turn is just a stop gap solution, and in the end may cause more problems, which of course would then be solved by replacing them anyways.

Keep in mind too, turning them does nothing to eliminate all the rust on the inner cooling vanes, and when rotors go through crappy winters like ours, some of the rust can flake off and clog the cooling vanes, thus making then useless.

This summer I replaced all 4-rotors and all brake pads on the Frontier at 40k miles because the brakes were just not up to snuff anymore.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:01 AM

A quick search on Autoanything shows the following
I had to guess on your year, but you get the idea

Our Price: $63.95 each
Shipping:Free Shipping Free Shipping
Part #: 120.40057
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/6...Fc166wodD2cANA
Old 09-15-2012, 07:03 AM

Front - Centric Premium Rotors
$57.99 and free shipping
http://www.topbrakes.com/carSeriesDe...0.40057_11875F

You never pay more for Centric at AutoAnything, guaranteed! If you find this product
at a lower price within 1 year of your purchase date, call 1.800.874.8888 and we’ll beat it.

Over the years I have bought lots of stuff from Autoanything and have always been pleased with the purchasing experience and their customer service
Old 09-15-2012, 07:06 AM

I am very pleased with the Centric Premium Rotors
I have had them on the Titan, have used several sets on the S2000 when I was tracking the car and still use them today
In addition that is exactly what I just put on the Frontier, and the CRX-Si has them on the front
Old 09-15-2012, 07:11 AM

Received 354 Likes on 217 Posts

The fellows at Synapse told me that almost no one turns them anymore. Replacements are fairly inexpensive today.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:12 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Headchef
The fellows at Synapse told me that almost no one turns them anymore. Replacements are fairly inexpensive today.
That is good to know. Thanks Dave
Old 09-15-2012, 07:14 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Front - Centric Premium Rotors
$57.99 and free shipping
http://www.topbrakes...20.40057_11875F
Thanks for all the advice Doug. Currently debating between OEM and CP.

I was leaning towards new rotors but thought I'd ask in case someone felt otherwise.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Headchef
Interesting, and not a real surprise I guess, with labor costs what they are today...
I can see how fewer and fewer places may want to turn them these days
Old 09-15-2012, 07:17 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

What Headchef said......if you've been happy with the OEM that is what I'd probably replace them with...that is what I did with Karla's a while back...then again her car never sees the track.
Levi

Quick Reply: Rotors on Si - Replace or Turn?