New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Time for a new daily car?

Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Not after what I'm hearing about bad head gaskets, besides I don't need another performance car
Old 10-16-2012, 06:52 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Mark - the Si comes only with a manual transmission. WRX can be had with an automatic.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big fan of Subaru's AWD.. The new legacy is beautiful.. Sporty looking, automatic, and AWD.. Lease deals are pretty good for those right now. If I was in the market for a DD, that would be it.. As much as I want a WRX, I can't see having another performance car that needs 93 in it at 4.25:gallon. Check them out.. Even a used base model impreza is a good dd..
Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

A2, how many miles are on your Si now?
Levi
Old 10-17-2012, 02:33 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Levi
Just a hairs breadth under 46k miles Levi.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:35 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by lolls
I'm a big fan of Subaru's AWD.. The new legacy is beautiful.. Sporty looking, automatic, and AWD.. Lease deals are pretty good for those right now. If I was in the market for a DD, that would be it.. As much as I want a WRX, I can't see having another performance car that needs 93 in it at 4.25:gallon. Check them out.. Even a used base model impreza is a good dd..
Base model imprezas have way too much body roll for my liking. They are sluggish too.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:49 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Originally Posted by NNY S2k' timestamp='1350468597' post='22088338
Levi
Just a hairs breadth under 46k miles Levi.
I think your Si will provide you enjoyment for quite awhile longer, if you decide to keep it. Almost every car will need some repair after time. What you had fixed should last.
At least your car isn't on it's last leg so you have time to find something to your liking if you decide to switch.
Levi
Old 10-17-2012, 03:51 AM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I used to recommend Subarus all the time, but with the head gasket issues on the EJ-series engine I can't do that anymore.

Subaru is a good choice as long as it doesn't have an EJ in it.

Stay debt free. Keep the Si. How much would repairs be vs the cost of a monthly car payment for the next few years?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
I used to recommend Subarus all the time, but with the head gasket issues on the EJ-series engine I can't do that anymore.
Subaru is a good choice as long as it doesn't have an EJ in it.
I agree with this 1,000%!

My Mom drove Outbacks for a very long time, she started with Subaru just before the Outback came out, she had a Legacy Wagon that had an air adjustable ride height, after that died she went with an Outback, and I recall she had three of them, until she had the catastrophic head gasket failure and had to replace the car in a hurry. That EJ engine sucks and should be avoided at all cost.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by A 2
Still have drivetrain warranty on the car that is set to expire next May. But this repair should be covered for another year from todays date. Love the car and enjoy it still. But these failures are somewhat worrying - at best minor inconveniences and at worst a potential outflow of cash once the warranty ends.
So I'm thinking - Do I need a new car? Nothing out there in my range excites me and the ones I like (BRZ/FR-S or Miata) are not daily driveable. Also do I really need the burden of more debt. Relatively debt-free and would just like to stay that way.
What would you do if you were in my shoes and had a car that had all this work done under warranty? For purposes of this hypothetical situation, bear in mind that you enjoy the car each time you are driving it.
1st- it saddens me to hear you are having this problem, if it has anything to do with track work I can't help but think the quality of the vehicle design is just not that great as this kind of thing should be able to handle hard driving just fine, it's an Si

2nd- you have a lot of coverage time on these parts and I think that gives you the opportunity to move slowly, I don't see it as you need to rush this decision by any means and that is a great thing, very fortunate for you

3rd- we all know you love the car and that is something you really need to think about, it would totally suck to jump into another car and not be equally pleased with it, but have it only because you worried about the reliability of the Si, this is the hard part of the decision

4th- it's like a gamble, replace parts and keep the car, or get rid of it and get something else, sometimes when parts are replaced the problem is not only fixed, but it is fixed once and for all because of new better parts, the problem here though is it sounds like you have done this already and the same problem has come back, so to me that says the fix might not be a permanent thing, and that just sucks

5th- what was the cost of the repair, how much would this have cost you had it not been covered by warranty, I think you need to know this so you have real facts and figures to work with because it clearly sounds like should this happen again it is going to be your cost, not something Honda will pick up

6th- I was sort of in this same boat with the Titan, I loved that damnn truck, but it just had so many leaking issues that I was concerned how much it would cost after the warranty ran out, in my case the final straw was the rear diff explosion and then not being able to get Nissan to replace the tranny that I was sure was damaged, I looked at the costs and the length of remaining warranty and I decided to get a new truck, but of course my situation was different because I was still sure I had an existing problem, in your case it sounds like the car is fine now, but believe me, I understand the debate, not having a reliable daily driver is the worst kind of situation

7th- good luck, and go read my 2nd point again as I keep coming back to that myself

Quick Reply: Time for a new daily car?