New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 08-22-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
I called and spoke to a human who noted my order down. She said one of the compounds wouldn't be ready until Monday the 28th. I said that was pushing it close to my next event. She yelled across the room to someone and then told me Chris says he will have your order ready to ship on Friday the 25th. It was all very alien like not having to place an order online. I may have enjoyed talking to an actual human.

I think they are still a small small operation and current orders may be a tad delayed given that they are probably ramping production up for the runoffs. I hope I'll have a positive experience as others have with their service as well as their product.
Real people doing real work!
I want them to succeed!
Sorry cyber guys you work too...
Old 08-22-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I tried to order tune up parts for the Volvo today - from 4 different places. One in Sweeden, one in the Netherlands and one in Pennsylvania. Not one order went through. Everyone on vacation. The fourth place didn't have the parts. Most frustrating since the car isn't running.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
The one recommendation I did not go with was to get the pads prebedded. That was an extra $20 charge that I felt I did not need to incur. I can see the benefit of prebedding for race teams, but a weekend warrior like me should have plenty of time to bed pads in.
I just ordered a set of GLocs as well... I was on EBC Yellows but ran through a complete set in 8 track day sessions... Time for something better...
I talked to the owner, Danny, when I ordered. He said that to properly bed the pads you need to take them out onto the track for 4-5 hot laps and then get off the track and let them cool back to ambient. Running a complete track session risks getting them too hot and glazing them. Running less than 4-5 hot laps risks not bedding them properly. I figure for 25% of my track day spent bedding the pads, I`d rather just pay to have them bedded.

Originally Posted by A 2
I called and spoke to a human who noted my order down. She said one of the compounds wouldn't be ready until Monday the 28th. I said that was pushing it close to my next event. She yelled across the room to someone and then told me Chris says he will have your order ready to ship on Friday the 25th. It was all very alien like not having to place an order online. I may have enjoyed talking to an actual human.
There are positives and negatives to this. I ordered my pads 8/11 and was told they'd get to me by 8/18. I called today and apparently they "forgot to make my pads" so it will be another week.

Ultimately, if they're a good pad I`ll use them again, but so far it's a lot of frustration.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:00 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks for posting that update Mike. Hoping the issues are resolved soon. I think they are experiencing growing pains and not able to keep up with demand. I hope they'll make us happy though
Old 08-25-2017, 11:55 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Ross Bentley is beta testing a new program where he will offer coaching advice by email every day for 30 days and include an exercise to perform. I signed up and am sharing the link here for the rest of you.

https://speedsecrets.com/zone/
Old 08-25-2017, 12:20 PM

I need a 30 day workout to get into the zone, given that I have three race events this month. I saw the Historic Festival list of competitors and cars for my group.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:53 PM

Suffering from race-itis. Missed test and tune. A pang in my heart all day. Heading home now to work on the car.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:21 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Suffering from race-itis. Missed test and tune. A pang in my heart all day. Heading home now to work on the car.
soon your pangs will be satisfied. Good luck with the car prep. Hope you find a good spot in the paddock
Old 08-29-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Good luck this weekend Jeff.
I'll be sending good thoughts your way.
As always keep the shiny side up!
Anne and I heading out for a long weekend tomorrow so I didn't want to miss the chance to wish you well.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:22 PM

Thanks guys.

Aashish, my paddock space will be assigned. I asked to be moved to A paddock and to be near the other MGAs. Whether or not that happens in uncertain.

Thanks Paul, I'll dig out and look over the pictures that you took so many years ago. About half of the MGA guys from back then are still running. But we're all getting so old, who knows how long we have left. Have a nice weekend vacation. Hope you guys have fun.

The car that smacked into me last Labor Day is for sale at $11,000. Not a bad price. 1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite Vintage Race Car | VINTAGE RACE CAR SALES

The MG is pretty much ready. Just need to wipe it down and check the tire pressure. I reset the timing tonight. I had pulled the distributor at Summit Point and just estimated the timing when I put it back in. It was running 4 degrees farther advanced than Hap, the builder recommended. I adjusted it back.

Also tinkered with the Volvo a bit. Finished tuning it up so I should be able to run it up to the track sometime this weekend - probably Sunday. Starts a bit easier, but I had a difficult time synchronizing the carbs. I just received an email that the parts I needed for the tune up and that I was forced to order from the Netherlands should be arriving tomorrow.