New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 08-19-2017, 10:32 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 148 Posts

El Jefe
buy a brick, kind sir
https://www.limerockparkprojects.com/buy-a-brick
Old 08-20-2017, 04:38 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Marshall sent me this link to a video of me driving his car. He's starting to get hooked and is getting on track soon at a TNiA event.

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-21-2017, 05:51 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Ordered a set of G-Loc brake pads. This company was started by the guys that used to own Carbotech.

The reviews seem to be good so I'm hoping I have a good experience with them. The Hawk pads I ran while good did a number on the rotors. I also have new rotors at home that I'll put on before I go to Club Motorsports.

As of now Greg, Mike and I are confirmed. Shiv is going to come too.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Ordered a set of G-Loc brake pads. This company was started by the guys that used to own Carbotech.

The reviews seem to be good so I'm hoping I have a good experience with them. The Hawk pads I ran while good did a number on the rotors. I also have new rotors at home that I'll put on before I go to Club Motorsports.

As of now Greg, Mike and I are confirmed. Shiv is going to come too.
What happened with Carbotech? I have always been happy with mine, did some big guys buy them out?
Old 08-21-2017, 02:14 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by pgss2k
What happened with Carbotech? I have always been happy with mine, did some big guys buy them out?
Here is what the guy Danny P said in an email to me Yes, we build up and ran Carbotech for 10 years. Then we broke off and started G-LOC Brakes almost two years ago.

Also on Google, someone has the following review of the company:
I've had the pleasure of knowing and working with Danny Puskar at G-LOC for many years at a previous company, and so when he launched G-LOC it was an easy and obvious decision for me to switch over and continue our terrific relationship. G-LOC pads are phenomenal. They offer great initial bite and incredible modulation. I also love that G-LOC pads are nice and meaty, and they cover more surface than OEM. They offer great value for any pro racer or weekend track warrior. Danny is also someone that I love to brainstorm with, especially when it comes to which compound works best in different situations; whether for my street F80 BMW M3, or my race car S2000 - he helps me to determine which pads are best given what track I'm on, what tire compound I'm using, and how much power I'm running with. I feel like I always have a partner to help provide his knowledge to what it is that I'm doing, so that I have the best brake solution possible in any situation. For me, as a racer, the confidence in knowing what to expect when I brake into a corner allows me to settle in quickly and then focus on driving the rest of the track with the cars that I'm battling against. I can't thank Danny and his team enough for providing me with their exceptional products and plethora of expertise. G-LOC is truly top notch. Thanks guys!

So I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with Carbotech. It looks like one or two of the guys that either part-owned Carbotech or helped build it up, stepped out and started G-Loc. They say the pads are very similar in construction to the Carbotechs and don't destroy rotors or paint like the Hawks. The G-Locs also seem to be a tad cheaper than the Carbotechs.

Danny recommended their R16 (front) and R12 (rear) for the BRZ. I think that's a step up as these pads have a higher temp range than the Hawk DTC 70 and DTC 30 I have been running. They are at the price I'd pay for Carbotechs. Left to myself I'd probably have gone with the R14 and R10, but he insisted this was best suited for the BRZ. The one recommendation I did not go with was to get the pads prebedded. That was an extra $20 charge that I felt I did not need to incur. I can see the benefit of prebedding for race teams, but a weekend warrior like me should have plenty of time to bed pads in.
The following users liked this post:
pgss2k (08-21-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 195 Likes on 168 Posts

One has to assume that there were some patents on the Carbotec pad material. So the G-Loc can't be the same, unless these guys hold the patents. The other issue is the quality and consistency of production. Now both for Carbotec and G-Loc. I've always used the Carbotec. Curious to learn the details.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:29 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
One has to assume that there were some patents on the Carbotec pad material. So the G-Loc can't be the same, unless these guys hold the patents. The other issue is the quality and consistency of production. Now both for Carbotec and G-Loc. I've always used the Carbotec. Curious to learn the details.
I'll let you know how things work out for me with G-Loc.

Im unsure how exactly they differ or are similar to Carbotechs, but they seem to have a range of pads for various temps. They are also willing to make custom pads for certain applications. They make pads for the BBKs too.

Here is a thread from R&C with info about G-Loc

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...t-you-1168625/
Old 08-22-2017, 10:49 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Another G-Loc related thread. This one has input from Danny Puskar, the owner

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...-pads-1173781/
Old 08-22-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 195 Likes on 168 Posts

Their web site

http://www.g-locbrakes.com/about-us/
Old 08-22-2017, 12:37 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I called and spoke to a human who noted my order down. She said one of the compounds wouldn't be ready until Monday the 28th. I said that was pushing it close to my next event. She yelled across the room to someone and then told me Chris says he will have your order ready to ship on Friday the 25th. It was all very alien like not having to place an order online. I may have enjoyed talking to an actual human.

I think they are still a small small operation and current orders may be a tad delayed given that they are probably ramping production up for the runoffs. I hope I'll have a positive experience as others have with their service as well as their product.