New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2018

Old 08-17-2018, 01:54 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Have fun tomorrow guys.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:29 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks Jeff. It should be fun.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:33 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Have fun tomorrow guys.
A2 and myself will need a crash course on how to quickly analyze the AIM Solo data.

He will be taking it to the TT National with him and can use it to determine which turns he needs to work on.
But neither one of us knows how to analyze the data.

Tomorrow we will be sliding around the slopes of Whiskey Hill.....as party of the SCDA HPDE event, last one at Palmer for 2018.

Last edited by s200059; 08-17-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:13 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Pretty decent day for the most part at Palmer today. Picked up Greg at 5:30 AM and we got to the track by 7:30 through rain that did not ease up until we were half way between Lee and Springfield. Mike joined us when we stopped for gas at the gas station at exit 8. Got to the track and set up, registered and made it to the drivers meeting. I was going to instruct Mike's coworker, Phil, who was driving a Camaro ZL1. I didn't even want to ask how much HP that had. Suffice it to say, it had the power to get the rear end to step out. Phil seemed to have a steady head on his shoulders though and that worked out well for us.

Greg spotted a nice Alfa Giulia Q4 (the AWD version) and found his student for the day. He seemed like a good kid too.With the students set, Greg rode out with me for the first instructor session. It was black flagged about 2 laps in and then after a restart and another 2 laps, there was a Corvette way off at the track out after 8 (not a crash, but his car died) and the checker came out. Greg who was timing me said I was on a predictive lap set for 2:01. Hitherto, my fastest time was a 2:02 in both cars and maybe there was another second to be gained. The conditions were right for a fast lap. Track was damp and drying and I'd set my fast laps in exactly those conditions. The second session, I took my student out and was driving closer to an Int 1 pace because I wanted to get him comfortable with the track and with the line through some of the corners.On the third session, Rico rode out with me and it had started raining as we were waiting in pit lane to go out. Only a handful of cars went out and Rico and I made sure we kept it tidy. About 20 mins into the session, we see lightning and hear thunder and I knew then that they'd call us in. Sure enough the storms hit with a fury that I have not witnessed in a while and they lasted for quite a bit. The track went cold and we waited to hear for updates. Eventually the day was called as more storms seemed to be headed in that direction and with the lightning accompanying the rain, it was a safe call to make.

We gradually packed up and Rico was the first to hit the road as he had to make the drive back home. Greg, Mike and I made our way to Chick-Fil-A in nearby Chicopee so Greg could finally taste what that was all about.

And just as we were getting ready to head out, we had a surprise visit from a future S2000 driver

JJ had driven out figuring she wanted to surprise me at the track but after I sent her a message saying I was in Chicopee she came straight there with Antara.

Last edited by A 2; 08-18-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:21 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

And here’s one of Greg with Rico

Old 08-19-2018, 07:40 AM

It was great to see some of the old S2k gang yesterday, Mike , Rico and a new guy Tony.

We got 3 dry sessions in before the weather moved in , and after the first wave of the storm front hit, most of the drivers left the track.
I had an 18 yrs old student in the Giulia and he did great, only one "Oh Shit" moment at the end of the front straight where he came in too hot and we almost went off. The remainder of the day was uneventful and the student pickup up all the lines and smoothed out his lap. I even taught him a few of my bad habits !!.
Aashish had me in the car for the first session and he was very smooth in the BRZZZZ, all his hard work has pain off and now that he is an Instructor he is running with all the big boys. I was impressed with his driving but now with the BRZ, iIts just not all that exciting of a car, it could use about another 100 hp and better viability. A2 tried to get me to drive the car, but I refused several times. The main reason being the National TT event is only a couple weeks away and I do not want to be the one to damage the car before the event !!. I didn't tell A2 that I had actually driven one of those cars back in 2016 down at Quantum, it was right before the owner put a turbo on the car and added 200 whp to it.

On the way home we did stop at Chicken Filet and I got my very first sandwich and shake. Both were very good, we got to trade a few more track stories while we ate. Before we left CF, we got a surprise visit from A2's family, his two ladies showed up and JJ had a bite to eat and a shake before we left. It was a pleasant surprise to see Antara wide awake and full of wonder and she watched all the new faces.

I got the rock star treatment all day, A2 picked me up at my house, drove me to the track, made sure I was well fed and stayed dry and then drove me home. I was so tired that I almost fell asleep before we pulled in my driveway. It was a great way spend a Saturday at the track with friends - old and new !.

Last edited by s200059; 08-19-2018 at 03:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
A 2 (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:21 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Greg. We had a lot of fun on a day that was supposed to be a total washout. Thanks for the kind words about my driving. Hopefully I'm able to perform decently at the TT Nationals. As for the rockstar treatment, I just picked you up and dropped you off and would do it any day for you.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:34 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Video of curtailed third and final run. It was looking ominous as we lined up to go out and sure enough the session ended early. Rico was accompanying me.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by A 2
Greg. We had a lot of fun on a day that was supposed to be a total washout. Thanks for the kind words about my driving. Hopefully I'm able to perform decently at the TT Nationals. As for the rockstar treatment, I just picked you up and dropped you off and would do it any day for you.
Hey - I wanted to mention that I thought it was very thoughtful that Elivan came up to the garage at the end of the day to speak with everyone and to thank us all for helping out for the day.
Things like that is why we all love the SCDA events.....
The following users liked this post:
A 2 (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 05:02 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Just got back home and rushing out to the garage to work on the Volvo.

Aashish, if you need a crash (pun intended) course on the AIM Solo program, bring your computer and Palmer trace to Lime Rock. If not, we can look at mine. Driver's Lounge

Quick Reply: Track Days 2018