New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2018

Old 10-26-2018, 07:55 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Cancelled for tomorrow. Much as I wanted to go, I had to sit it out. Got something going on at work I’ll need to be available for.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:13 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Jeff - How'd the day go? You picked the right day to go. Weather doesn't look all that great for tomorrow and this cold has started to affect me too. I'm just sick of it. I need to take a week off and go someplace warmer.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:49 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I had given up hope on getting on track after Labor Day. I had missed three vintage event opportunities, and the Honda mileage allowance had been exceeded. But since I’ve had some success at work getting rid of major files, I thought I could play a bit of hooky. On Tuesday, I signed up for Friday’s event with SCDA at Lime Rock. After making my payment, then I checked the weather. I managed to luck out. Although it was chilly, high 40s, it wasn’t wet.

The event was half day, so that was even better. I had the morning to get ready. The big task was to swap out the brake pads. That took a bit longer than expected, so I had to scramble to collect tools and gear and get out the door.

My first run was at 1:20. I arrived at about 1:05. Got registered, unloaded the car and immediately went to tech. The tech inspection amounted to collecting my form and placing a sticker on the windshield! I left tech, headed straight to the false grid and staged from the back of the line. We sat there until the session was over, as someone in the first run group had laid oil all over the track. Elivan made an announcement that we would get a 15 minute make up run at the end of the day. All very good because I didn’t want to be running the car through the Speedi-Dry.

By the time our second run was scheduled, I had caught my breath and was a bit more relaxed. I was one of the slower cars in the group – er, shall we say just about the slowest. Quite a few Corvettes, Cameros and Mustangs, a few BMWs and a few Lotus. My first laps were ragged in the 1:17 range as I was either held up or giving point bys. But then I improved and was running in the 1:11 to 1:13 range – but still ragged and lurchy. I tried to focus and managed to run the last six laps in the 1:09s with one lap at a 1:08.3. I was pretty happy with the “improvement” and optimistic about the remainder of the day.

A short break and soon we were called to the grid for our second run. Heeding the call a bit too early, I was the 5th or 6th car to the line – meaning all of that muscle was going to need to pass. I thought that I started well, but quickly became inconsistent as I lost concentration with the cars coming up from behind. A glance or two to the speedometer and I noticed that my corner speed, particularly in the Uphill and West Bend, were perhaps slower than in the MGA. I tried to focus on rolling more speed without much success. Mostly ran in the 1:11 to 1:13 range, with only five laps below 1:10. I had a couple of 1:07s, but I was inconsistent and couldn’t string two good laps together. Again, the car felt ragged and lurchy.

The third run didn’t show or feel any better. I suppose my overall average times came down a second to the 1:10 to 1:11 range. I was a bit more consistent, but I only managed two laps in the high 1:08s. My best time was a 1:08.896. I felt that my corner speed in the Uphill and particularly in West Bend needed improvement, but I just couldn’t force myself to up the cornering speed. The will was there, but not the means. I was somewhat disappointed with the run.

The final run was going to be a short 15 minutes – the last gasp of the racing season for sure. As with run #3, my plan was to roll more speed into the Uphill and West Bend. However, I was also going to concentrate on running as smoothly as possible and to go deeper in the Left Hander (they put those turn in cones out there for a reason, me thinks!). The visibility through the Left Hander was a bit tricky on this run due to the low sun angle, but that forced me to look further to the turn into the No Name Straight. In any event, I was able to run more smoothly as I concentrated and there was little passing traffic. I was able to roll more speed into the Uphill and West Bend as I tried not to over brake– not much more speed, but perhaps 2 to 3 mph at the apexes. The data shows that I ran consistently, with 9 out of 11 laps in the 1:08s and low 1:09s. My best lap was a 1:07.6 – not my best lap of the day, but close enough.

The last time I ran the S at Lime Rock was three years ago. If I ever had any data from that event, I can’t find it now. My recollection, however, is that my best times were in the 1:10s. If that is the case, I suppose that I have improved. A very good time for me in the MGA would be a 1:12.5.

I didn’t have much of an issue with the gears. Downshifting from 5th coming into Turn 1, I landed in 6th on half a dozen occasions, but this was no big deal as I could find 4th relatively quickly between Turns 1 and 2. I was downshifting well before I arrived at the apex – maybe too early – but it seemed to be more comfortable. I was shifting to 3rd for the Left Hander. Then, of course, sometimes having the extra torque turning onto the No Name Straight was a bit scary.

As noted, the car does feel lurchy. I’m now wondering if an anti-sway bar is in order.

I was tired and pretty sore last night. The ribs at the back of my torso, my shoulders and my upper arms are all a bit sore. Too much fighting trying to stay in the seat, I suppose.

I had one “mechanical” scare late in the third run. Just after the apex to the Uphill, I heard the engine race and I felt no power. I immediately concluded that my clutch was slipping, and I came into pit lane. I tested the clutch, and all seemed well. It turned out that the racing engine and lack of power were false sensations on my part. I had just been passed by a Lotus, and the racing engine was his engine, not mine. And the lack of power was just my weak foot on the pedal.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:19 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Jeff - just as I expected, you came away with a personal best. A 1:07 on a car that is all stock is a very good time. Can you eke more out of the stock set up? I definitely think so, but that will come with more seat time and being brave with rolling more speed into Big Bend, Uphill, and the Downhill. Doable on a stock suspension, but it will require 'large attachments' as David Hobbes would say.

You and I are now matched on time. I didn't time myself this year, but last year I did a 1:07 at the SCDA event when you got that lady to ride along in my car. As for the car feeling lurchy, I am not quite sure what you mean. Is it not smooth on the gas as you roll onto it? As for rolling more speed through corners, remember there is only so much you can do on the stock suspension and this is heavier than your MG. So I'd say you are driving the car on the edge. If you had an Apex Pro, I am sure the data would show it.

A sway bar is a good add, but also think about coilovers. The car responds very well to suspension and wheel upgrades. All in all, glad you had a good afternoon and happier still that you went faster. The nature of Lime Rock is such that with all the traffic you'd be lucky to string even two laps together, so don't worry about being consistent in the face of new cars that have way more HP than our cars do.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:46 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

That orange vette was the first student I had at Watkins Glen. His name is Paul and he is a safe driver.

The Vette that went off looks like a guy that had just been signed off to Int 1. I instructed him for a session at LRP as Elivan had requested me. That AM, his wife was driving the car at the car control clinic.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Very nice picture from the SCDA website.

Making me look fast.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:41 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

^ I was just about to post that picture. The angle makes it seem like the car is driving into a sinkhole. You did a terrific job detailing the car Jeff
Old 10-30-2018, 05:06 AM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Great picture!
Old 11-08-2018, 08:38 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

This may be of interest here in this thread. Greg and I attended the local SCCA monthly meeting where Greg Rickes (the voice of Lime Rock Park) interviewed young Yuven Sundaramoorthy. Yuven is 15 years old and has been racing in open wheel series for two years now and has aspirations to go to the top levels of Motorsport. I thought he was very funny and level headed as well as self-deprecating in an endearing way.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:49 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Lets not forget that Aashish was also a guest speaker and he captivated the audience with his stories from the TT National event in Kentucky.

I know the guys at my table (Harry, Phil and DJ) talked about doing TT for 2019 and wer trying to get me involved.
The following users liked this post:
A 2 (11-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Track Days 2018