New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread - 2022 and Beyond

Old 12-11-2021, 07:14 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 148 Posts

Good Luck Jeff. I hope it does the trick and helps the car start
Old 12-12-2021, 06:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark355
I'm predicting Lewis on pole and a Prost-Senna moment into turn 1 at the GP.
Boy was I wrong. Race was incredible. Happy for Max. Must be gut wrenching for Lewis.

Originally Posted by gerry100
Saw this Hanging on the wall at HVCC Troy
Wait what?! What building? Is it open to the public? I must see this.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:48 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Mark355-

If you drive up the South Road on campus from Rte 4 you will see the Haas Manufacturing center on the left.

Car is hanging in the Lobby, you can park in front, at least for a few minutes.

A nice camera with a Zoom would do better than my Iphone
Old 12-15-2021, 04:22 AM

Received 195 Likes on 168 Posts

Volvo Starter Fail!

Well, I installed the starter, but was unable to start the car. The starter spun the engine a revolution or two, but on second attempt seemed to short out. I pulled the starter and got it working on the bench. Then I reinstalled. Same deal, the starter spun the engine for a few seconds, but on second attempt would not engage - again seemed to short out. Checked and double checked all of the connections and the ground without any change. So I'm left to conclude that the starter is jamming on the flywheel. This probably means that my problem is more serious than the starter.

Current plan is to pull the plugs and try to spin the engine by hand while also trying also to determine what the flywheel is doing. My big bang sounded like a broken crank or a major shaft, and maybe my dreams of an easy fix are dashed.

In the meantime though, I need to get back to the MGA engine disassembly.

As for the S2000, the body shop says it might be ready today and that it is beautiful.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:30 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Glad to hear that the S2000 will be home soon. I am sure you will figure out the Volvo starter in due course. At least we are having a good spell of weather for this time of year. That should help you to make progress before you step back to celebrate christmas.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:59 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Volvo Starter Fail!

Well, I installed the starter, but was unable to start the car. The starter spun the engine a revolution or two, but on second attempt seemed to short out. I pulled the starter and got it working on the bench. Then I reinstalled. Same deal, the starter spun the engine for a few seconds, but on second attempt would not engage - again seemed to short out. Checked and double checked all of the connections and the ground without any change. So I'm left to conclude that the starter is jamming on the flywheel. This probably means that my problem is more serious than the starter.

Current plan is to pull the plugs and try to spin the engine by hand while also trying also to determine what the flywheel is doing. My big bang sounded like a broken crank or a major shaft, and maybe my dreams of an easy fix are dashed.

In the meantime though, I need to get back to the MGA engine disassembly.

As for the S2000, the body shop says it might be ready today and that it is beautiful.
Good luck with your diagnosis of the problem. Hopefully a crank or rod hasn't let go.

Looking forward to a report on the MGA progress

The S2000 is a beautiful thing. It sure pleases my eyes like the MGA or 100-4 from the 50s.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:15 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Glad to hear that the S2000 will be home soon. I am sure you will figure out the Volvo starter in due course. At least we are having a good spell of weather for this time of year. That should help you to make progress before you step back to celebrate christmas.
Unusually warm here too, 39F is the high today. Not the normal for us to get above freezing this time of the year. Just a week ago the high temps had been 7F to 14F for over a week. Those temperatures make me appreciate my Defa car heaters. The Mazda engine heater is for the coolant and the cabin heater warms the small space like summer. It's great to have warm air coming from the vent almost right away. The Hyundai engine heater warms the oil. It turns over great but you have to wait for engine heat.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:06 AM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I miss the pandemic traffic levels, or more accurately, the lack thereof.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:36 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
I miss the pandemic traffic levels, or more accurately, the lack thereof.

the anti-destination league is back out on the streets with a show of strength
Old 12-16-2021, 05:38 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Riche
Unusually warm here too, 39F is the high today. Not the normal for us to get above freezing this time of the year. Just a week ago the high temps had been 7F to 14F for over a week. Those temperatures make me appreciate my Defa car heaters. The Mazda engine heater is for the coolant and the cabin heater warms the small space like summer. It's great to have warm air coming from the vent almost right away. The Hyundai engine heater warms the oil. It turns over great but you have to wait for engine heat.
Almost usually when peak winter is warmer, I’ve found that spring doesn’t get here sooner. We shall see. I’ve found the S2000 much like how you described the Mazda too. Perhaps it’s the benefit of small cabins.