NYC Metro Off Topic All Off Topic Threads Go Here

ipad

Old 12-06-2010, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devs2k,Dec 6 2010, 11:14 AM
I think remote access through the iPad is useful in limited circumstances when one needs to view/review documents/data.

However, to play devil's advocate, don't they have wireless keyboards for iPads? If I had a wireless keyboard and mouse, using an ipad through Citrix in theory shouldn't be too different than logging on from a PC or Mac, no? I could envision a future where for home use, one would essentially dock their iPad. Isn't it only a matter of software upgrades and a few minor hardware upgrades?
"limited circumstances" is right.

As for buying more upgrades. Mr Jobs loves that sort of thinking. Give me more money even though you have already paid a lot for what you have now just to make it do what you want.

I am sure you can accomplish everything you just said however, how will it run while you are trying to edit and work on that data? It is a known fact that other companies are coming out with better spec'd tablets at a cheaper price. Why bother getting an iPad at that point? I just don't see it.

@Nick, it has a usb but it cannot use it for extra storage. My coworker was trying to hook up an external hard drive for hours on it. Kept on asking me for different usb cables
Old 12-06-2010, 07:36 AM

I'm not the biggest Apple fan. I tried the iPhone 3G and returned it; now have a Droid X. I had a Macbook but gave it away to my GF because I couldn't stand the Mac OS.

However, I will say for many people, the sleek and simple nature of the iPad is all they need. Take my aforementioned niece as an example. It's pretty telling that a 2-year old can use an iPhone and iPad with ease. I can almost guarantee something with Android and RIM will not be as easy to use, and definitely not as bug free.

I think you only run into issues when you buy an iPad and expect to be a PC replacement, like your coworker trying to hook up an external HD.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by devs2k,Dec 6 2010, 11:36 AM
I'm not the biggest Apple fan. I tried the iPhone 3G and returned it; now have a Droid X. I had a Macbook but gave it away to my GF because I couldn't stand the Mac OS.

However, I will say for many people, the sleek and simple nature of the iPad is all they need. Take my aforementioned niece as an example. It's pretty telling that a 2-year old can use an iPhone and iPad with ease. I can almost guarantee something with Android and RIM will not be as easy to use, and definitely not as bug free.

I think you only run into issues when you buy an iPad and expect to be a PC replacement, like your coworker trying to hook up an external HD.
I love their thinking and how apple always forces technology to progress. I just can't stand that they are so pricey and the only reason why they are so bug free is because they lock you down and make you pay for it. Literaly! They are also a lot of false claims that seem to have followed them through out the years. They don't crash... they don't lock up ... blah blah. I have used enough of their products to know that is not true and god forbid you need service outside your warranty.

Can anyone tell I am not a fan of apple?
Old 12-06-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2ks2knyc,Dec 6 2010, 11:47 AM
Can anyone tell I am not a fan of apple?
I can't tell...

I'd look into an Android tablet. I'm jaded by my experience with RIM though.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:50 AM

Received 811 Likes on 446 Posts

Bluetooth Keyboard, YES.
Bluteooth Mouse, NO - unless you jailbreak the devices (something we don't want to really support in our corporate world).
The Citrix receiver is interesting (its also part of my domain here). With that, you can use an iPhone as a touchpad.

USB? NO. My ipad is in my hands now. The ONLY external connectors are the headphones and the multi-port/power/synch connector at the end. There is a device that probably has a micro USB on the other end for camera connectivity, but to say the iPad has a USB port is in my views, wrong.

For consumption, its a very useful device. For creation, its not.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:52 AM

[QUOTE=Heyitsgary,Dec 6 2010, 11:50 AM] For consumption, its a very useful device.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary,Dec 6 2010, 11:50 AM
There is a device that probably has a micro USB on the other end for camera connectivity, but to say the iPad has a USB port is in my views, wrong.
Yup but the average consumer just sees the connection there and will assume you can connect any device as I mentioned my idiot coworker did.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly was looking to get it just to mess around with, but was also thinking about buying the 'bigger version of an ipod\phone' .. ill probably pick one up eventually but ill wait. ill be the first to admit, ive been a huge apple fanboy ever since i got an iphone haha. i havent been on the computer much, my bad for such a late response.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:50 PM

just throwing it out there..... my friend is selling his Ipad 64 gig wifi + 3G for $800 will prolly work on price a bit.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:44 AM

Seeing Ryan post reminded me of one good thing I did see the iPad do. At a wedding the photographer had a big white screen set up with a camera and a wireless remote. It was sort of a photo booth setup where you jumped in front of the camera and snapped your own pic with the remote. Once you took the pictures it was then displayed on the screen behind you and on an iPad. You could scroll through all the pictures and control it via iPad. So again depending on your need you will either love it or hate it.

Quick Reply: ipad