NYC Metro Off Topic All Off Topic Threads Go Here

For those Gym Freaks...

Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TW00Si
Originally Posted by mndthegap1' timestamp='1355935961' post='22219679
[quote name='vduber' timestamp='1355787906' post='22216216']
[quote name='TW00Si' timestamp='1355772892' post='22215667']c
Being able to bench 300lbs...is useless. Yes, I've heard it before from my friends. It'll be useful when I need to move a fridge or get stuck underneath a car. As for as that goes...I'd say, my ability to run a sub 4 hour marathon is quite useless also. I'm just doing things to not get bored and see what my body will allow me to do while I'm still some what young.

Ray, if your shoulder hurts, don't push it. But I do find that working on your triceps, really helps when it comes to bench presses.

If and when I get to 300lbs...I'm sure that perfectly fine three plates on each side will be my final bench pressing goal. I just hope my womanly wrists doesn't snap on lift off.
Completely agree with you within reason. I'm waiting to go into Nypd and one of the personal trainers at my gym is aswell. He always tells me that I'm going to need to have more endurance and why would you powerlift and that I'm so much better of doing crossfit. My argument is when you trying to take down a 275lb perp in the street I'll be able too a lot easier then he will. I'd rather be strong and Decent speed rather than decent strength and pure speed. Just my thought process lol
Begin stronger than your opponet/perp has nothing to do with taking him down..... Small joint manipulation and using his or hers momentum is the key in subduing the person.... And besides that you'll be equipped with a gun tazer pepper spray baton cuffs and you can buy Kevlar weighted gloves, and not to mention a partner! I mean what the Hell else do you need? And if you can't get the perp in control or subdued then maybe the nypd isn't for you? I'm not hear to disrespect you or any1 or the nypd I'm just saying..... I remember one time I was au a bar and mind you I'm only 5'7''(but I have strong legs) and I had and altercation with this guy 5'11-6' and when he came at me I used some aikido moves and side stepped him controlled the wrist tucked under and goose cranked him out the door. Bein strong has advantages and disadvantages but if 300 is a personal goal then by all means do it
[/quote]
I'm not looking to join the NYPD. I have no desire in taking down people, tackling them, beating them, etc. Being able to bench 300lbs is just something I want to do because I've got nothing else better to train for at the moment but I'm confused as to what disadvantages being strong might have. Please enlighten me.
[/quote]
I was talking to vdub....I was in my car so maybe I replied ln wrong message... And what I mean by strength is you can manipulate your opponent simply by controlling a wrist or crank and use momentum to take him or her down.... And as far as benching, I said if its a goal by all means do it! I wish I can put up that kinda weight but I can't lol, as long as you accomplish your goals or objectives your ahead of the game... Sorry for any confusion
Old 12-19-2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by jimi
Originally Posted by mndthegap1' timestamp='1355936318' post='22219686
And I Have some friends who are monsters by the way and the don't move as fast, carring around all that muscle and big arms and lats, makes them a bit sluggish... When ever we play fight they basically just bum rush sumo style sometimes it works and sometimes it don't lol , any way good luck to you guys awaiting the P.D, be careful out there, head on a swivel at all times... And always remember the most effective most underrated move the teep, a.k.a front push kick!
The most effective kicks are below the waist
I totally agree kicks to the outer thighs were the nerves are can deaden the leg making it difficult for your opponent to put pressure on it... But what I meant by the teep is if your opponent comes at you, you can throw a teep to gain distance
Old 12-19-2012, 12:20 PM

Anyway back to working out.... Sorry I don't wanna turn this into an self defense thread.. ill be in my garage working on my heavy bag and double end bag... I wanna cut weight now not lookin to muscle up au my age anymore just wanna lean out a bit more
Old 12-20-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No disrespect taken and I do appreciate your thought on the matter. But being explosive powerful person In my eyes would not hinder me in anyway. I'm not big either only about 5'9 and around 205 right now but my movements are by far not sluggish nor did I say I couldn't take a person down that has a large weight advantage on me but stating in certain situations how having explosive power deffinately has its advantages. Very tactical approaches like the ones you stated do have there advantage aswell but I'm sticking with my philosophy
Old 12-20-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can and probably will agree to disagree with this all day long mndthegap but like you said I'd rather like to keep this about working out. Now give me some thoughts about my tattoo
Old 12-20-2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by vduber
We can and probably will agree to disagree with this all day long mndthegap but like you said I'd rather like to keep this about working out. Now give me some thoughts about my tattoo
lol yeah 10-4, no disrespect on my end either, anyway i did comment on ya tattoo lol
Old 12-31-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Done! Pressed 300lbs. On to the next goal.
http://youtu.be/9vRX0XiXL5U
Old 12-31-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dayum.

How much do you dumbell bench? Just trying to see how it compares from BB to DB.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by TW00Si
Done! Pressed 300lbs. On to the next goal.
http://youtu.be/9vRX0XiXL5U
Good job
Old 01-01-2013, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.
Ray, I don't remember when I last did DB presses. I used to do it thinking it would give me a better balance of left and right but I got lazy and stopped. I'm now seriously thinking hard about 315lbs before I go back to triathlon training again.

Quick Reply: For those Gym Freaks...