NYC Metro Off Topic All Off Topic Threads Go Here

Working Out

Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are lucky you can work out. Today I woke up at 6am and went for a 30min walk because I couldn't take it anymore. I been dealing with a rare blood disease/cancer and everytime I try to lift I feel like total crap. I have to deal with daily headaches, light headedness, sore/tingling hands and feet. Those things had me feeling so fatigued and really making me a couch potato. Today, I refuse to quit and started working out with a simple walk and I am hoping to start off slow and see what happens. Plus some pretty hot chics jog around my way. lol
Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I combo:
shoulders/tris
back/bi's.. rows will give you huge bi's... also need some isolation exercises to build those bi's, chin ups are real good.

cut with 4x10 and shitload of cardio lol
bulk/strength with 5x5 as heavy as you can go... off 6th week with 50% weight
Old 12-05-2012, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2ks2knyc
You guys are lucky you can work out. Today I woke up at 6am and went for a 30min walk because I couldn't take it anymore. I been dealing with a rare blood disease/cancer and everytime I try to lift I feel like total crap. I have to deal with daily headaches, light headedness, sore/tingling hands and feet. Those things had me feeling so fatigued and really making me a couch potato. Today, I refuse to quit and started working out with a simple walk and I am hoping to start off slow and see what happens. Plus some pretty hot chics jog around my way. lol
Sorry to hear man, but good for you for having the strength/motivation to exercise. I know the eye candy makes it that much easier
Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by sunman
Originally Posted by 2ks2knyc' timestamp='1354732442' post='22191723
Sorry to hear man, but good for you for having the strength/motivation to exercise. I know the eye candy makes it that much easier />/>
Thanks dude. I am under meds and keeping things under control and proving more annoying than anything else. At one point I was going to the gym 5 to 6 days a week and lost a lot of pounds and increased my strength. Then work got super crazy and then I bounce around from office to office and lastly I moved down south. Now that I am here and finally settled I wanted to try to get back into it but even working with my 35lbs dumbells at home was proving difficult. So I am starting this walking thing to eventually lead to running which I never did. Then maybe just go light weights.

Anyway .. a good work out to do with weights that I found really good was one that warms up the muscle, then stretches it, then contracts it. Example for bicepts is flat bar stand up curl for warm up. Seated inclined bench dumbell curl for stretch. Last you can do a standing cable curl or isolated seated curl to fully contract. Good thing about this work out is you just have to do two sets of each. Find work outs that do the warm up, stretch and contract for each muscle. It's supposed to be for building size but it worked great for me in building strength.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 AM

2 words...Cross Fit

Coming from someone with 12 years military experience and 15 years in fitness
Old 12-05-2012, 10:19 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

the workout that helped me the most is full body workouts with compound excercises.

most of us aren't looking to be body builders; etc. IMHO full body workouts are best for simply getting in shape (putting on some muscle or maintaing while losing fat/weight).

Im down to 202 from 234 since july/august. All my lifts have gotten much stronger. My mile runs are done by a lot. my form is much better. & my lower back pain is gone (Thank god).

I also like to change my workouts every week if possible. change from back squats to fronts one week; etc. Barbell to dumbbells; etc.

Go very heavy.
3-4 sets each 6-8 reps.
Squats
Deadlifts
Hang Cleans
Bench
Incline
lunges
Rows

I try to do about 5-7 different excercies and make sure im absolutely dead at the end. Than i take a 10-15 minute rest and go for some HIIT.

Also full body workouts are much quicker and give u more time/energy to run.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by GRUNTS2K
2 words...Cross Fit

Desk jockey is what I've heard .................. ?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 AM

I don't always work out, but when I do... I drink whey protein. Keep working out my friends :0l

Working out at a gym is great but so is working out in your basement, you just need the right tools to get the job done. Also, can anyone do one handed chin ups?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by S~Factor
My all time favorite split is Push/Pull/Legs.

Do all pulling movements one day (working your back, traps, and biceps).
Then do all pushing movements next (working your chest, shoulders, triceps).

Totally agree. This routine is underrated by many but works like a charm. Simple, but very effective and will get you in shape and gain strength.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GRUNTS2K
2 words...Cross Fit

I'd like to do cross fit, but need to get fit first. lol

Quick Reply: Working Out