Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

@HOME is down!!! No more highspeed!

Old 12-02-2001, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default @HOME is down!!! No more highspeed!

Most have already heard on the news, read the newspaper, or experienced what I am going through, but @HOME is DOWN! ETA is a long estimated 7 DAY!!!

I am going to rip my hair out, I am connecting with 56K. For those who have used Cable Modem, DSL, or any highspeed service, you know how spoiled we are. Going back is torture!!!

How can they do this and just cut service NATIONWIDE! They claim they had a major outage when I called but my buddy saw on the news that they cut service because they filled for chapter 11!

I am almost certain that www.S2000online.com has even slowed down greatly.

Sorry for the rant, but I am very upset and plan on switching to DSL. I would rather have slower downstream, faster upstream and MOST importantly uninterrupted service!

What $hitty service, they said they will credit ALL subscribers 2 days of service for each day they are out. I say credit us 1 month of service. I am almost certain that this is not going to be the only downtime they are going to have.

See you guys sometime in about a week, hopefully.

Old 12-02-2001, 12:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeup, but at least everyone saw it coming.

some other tid bits here:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/12/0...240&mode=thread
Old 12-02-2001, 01:16 AM

mine through cox communications is not down yet... so far it is at&t broadband which is down, but I'm sure mine will crash soon. I keep hearing it is going to...thinking about switching to dsl - any thoughts? Any good ones to use?

FYI - Cox communications has an automated recording calling everyone subscribed giving this phone number out for updates on the service...877-832-4751 note this is for california service, orange county only I believe.
Old 12-02-2001, 01:29 AM

yea, I got @home/cox communications also here in Irvine and it's obviously still up by my post.
Old 12-02-2001, 01:54 AM

Excite is still inviting subscribers to sign up:

http://www.home.com/xfooter/signup.html
Old 12-02-2001, 03:54 AM

mine is also still up and running but email is not. I recieve it thru Comcast cable.
Old 12-02-2001, 05:13 AM

Comcast in MD
email : Yes
Web : Yes

So far not outage...
Old 12-02-2001, 06:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My @home is down also, with a promise of "back up in 10 days or less..." and a change in email address from
barry-wohl@home.com to barry-wohl@attbi.com .
Any mail sent to barry-wohl@home.com (or to 850,000 other att@home subscribers) will go to the great bit bucket in the sky.

Luckily, I have my own domain for my business and I don't think I get any mail directly to barry-wohl@home.com . barry@newpa.com has been with me through two different ISPs so far.

Here is a link to a cnn.com article about it: http://money.cnn.com/2001/11/30/technology/excite/
There was a better article on www.newyorktimes.com but you need to be registered to use it.
Old 12-02-2001, 06:21 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

http://www.dotcomscoop.com/ has some good info. It seems like AT&T cable is being used as an example to scare the other cable companies into negotiating nicely with Excite@Home. AT&T is scrambling to put in to place their own ISP service, thereby giving the finger to E@H. I don't know why they didn't switch over to their own stuff earlier, though. Seems like the writing on the wall was pretty clear.

So how does the system work? AT&T runs the actual cables, has the cable modem gear at the other end, wouldn't IP addresses be assigned at that point? If AT&T owns all the routers and IP segments, why would Excite shutting down cause connectivity to go away? I can understand mail and proxy services and such, but just basic IP connectivity?
Old 12-02-2001, 06:52 AM

I have Cox@home service.

High speed Web - OK
Email - OK

Quick Reply: @HOME is down!!! No more highspeed!