Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Any materials engineers in the house?

Old 06-02-2004, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any materials engineers in the house?

I'm looking for a kind of plastic that resists static build up. Or, some kind of permanent spray/coating that would resist static build up on plastics. Any ideas?
Old 06-02-2004, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not enough information.

Static has more to do with the environment than the object. A brick-sized block of plastic sitting on my desk is not going to take on a static charge regardless of what touches it.

However, the nylon membranes that are on my legs (hosiery) do occasionally attract a charge especially when in contact with a wool skirt.

So...it would depend on the object in question, its use, and its environment.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:52 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

My understanding is that anything non-conductive can build up a static charge. Basically, any extra electrons that get attached to the material have nowhere to go.

So to avoid building up a static charge, you need to provide a conductive path to drain the electrons... Carbon fiber might work for you, depending on the resin and coating - the carbon is a conductor. (I've read that it can cause corrosion on metals because of that, much like salt water.)