Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

This board is deleterius (random thoughts)

Old 12-29-2000, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got up early and have been thinking and posting. I don't do either, simultaneously, often.

It occured to me that for quite some time, after reading sensationalized posts about handling and transmission problems, I had driven my S like a scared little boy.

Reading about the 1-2 grind, I was scared for some time that living in the high-RPM range with the tranny would inevitably ruin the car prematurely...

Then several months ago, after reading S2000Chris's (remember that kid? On the other board) episode when he "blew out his rear end" (and then recently Quick's chapter on that subject) ...I was scared to dog the car out.

Then everybody started talking about 720 degree spinouts and losing traction in their driveways and whilst driving through puddles... I was scared to enter a turn at more than 5 mph. Seriously.

It suddenly occured to me that between these episodes, this forum--and my own skiddishness after reading it--had completely negated the performance advantages of the S2000 and scared me into thinking it couldn't out handle or outrun a Yugo without serious threat to car, life and limb.

No, my rear hasn't blown out, no my car hasn't spun out, and no my tranny hasn't disintegrated (it's got issues, though).

I reacted too cautiously to what I was reading. Is that human nature?

Enough of my blather.
Old 01-02-2001, 08:06 AM
JRM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

George, this is people passing on worry. We all do it from time to time. Most people don't realize that there doing it. Is it normal? Guess so for you. Thats all that counts anyway! Remember one thing, take most you hear with a grain of salt. After reading most of the problems, I've found that the guys having the problems are expecting to much from a stock automobile. The problems are created by the way they use the car. Raced motorcycles for over 20 years. If you beat the hell out of them there going to wear out quicker. Missed shifts, speed shifting without the clutch, partial engagement at high RPMs, High RPM clutch dumps etc., all contribute to excellrated wear. The S2000 package takes alot of abuse but not overabuse ie., giant tyre smoking doughnuts, dragstrip launches etc. Continued use like this is gonna cause problems. (No offense to anyone here) but if you go back and read most of the posts of the guys having problems you can see in later posts why their having them. Question is do you want a racecar or a sportscar? Me, I don't baby mine but I don't demand 100 percent out of the car everytime I get in it eather. Do what's right for you! Weed through the (BS) and look for the truth.

PS. Yea, that's human nature. Overreaction and over compensation. Sure is! [QUOTE]Originally posted by George:
[B]I got up early and have been thinking and posting.