Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Can I get out of this Ticket?

Old 11-16-2009, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get out of this Ticket?

So I was driving out of town for work. While on the highway, the speed limit dropped to 60mph. I was going 75mph. I looked down at my phone for a couple seconds. When I looked up, a cop was on the side of the highway with his radar gun out. He pulled be over and gave me a ticket for 75 in a 60.

The ticket is filled out with a court date and time and such. However, the ticket doesn't have a fine on it. In the box where it says "Base Fine", it's blank.

I talked to a few people and they say that I can go to court and fight it, because the ticket wasn't completely filled out.

Has anyone had experience with this??? Any input is appreciate it.

It makes sense to me that it could get thrown out. A ticket is pretty much a legal document. Just like any other documents, if it's not completely filled out, it can be considered incomplete/ invalid.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:40 PM

...lots of states don't even put the fine on the ticket or even tell you what the fine is when you get the ticket...
Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how you'd get out of it, even if a fine is not stated on the ticket. But if you'd like to give it a try, doesn't hurt.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:14 PM

lol
ticket is citation for speeding
regardless of what the fees may be
Old 11-17-2009, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by viet_boi_racin,Nov 16 2009, 10:11 PM
So I was driving out of town for work. While on the highway, the speed limit dropped to 60mph. I was going 75mph. I looked down at my phone for a couple seconds. When I looked up, a cop was on the side of the highway with his radar gun out. He pulled be over and gave me a ticket for 75 in a 60.

The ticket is filled out with a court date and time and such. However, the ticket doesn't have a fine on it. In the box where it says "Base Fine", it's blank.

I talked to a few people and they say that I can go to court and fight it, because the ticket wasn't completely filled out.

It makes sense to me that it could get thrown out. A ticket is pretty much a legal document. Just like any other documents, if it's not completely filled out, it can be considered incomplete/ invalid.
You can show up in court and plead not guilty if you'd like, but the fact that there's no fine on the ticket is completely meaningless. They don't throw out tickets for minor clerical errors... that's an urban legend more or less.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:00 AM

Why do you feel like the ticket should be thrown out just because it was filled out incorrectly? You clearly admit you were speeding. Take responsibility for your actions.......
Old 11-17-2009, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiksilverS2K,Nov 17 2009, 06:00 AM
Why do you feel like the ticket should be thrown out just because it was filled out incorrectly? You clearly admit you were speeding. Take responsibility for your actions.......
what he said ^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-17-2009, 05:38 AM

and for the love of god, "looked down at my phone for a a couple seconds?" i'm way more concerned that you're not watching the road than with your speed...
Old 11-17-2009, 05:39 AM

dear s2ki, i was clearly busted breaking the law and want to weasel my way out of it. what do i do?

1) Pay your ticket
2)......?
3) PROFIT!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by viet_boi_racin,Nov 16 2009, 10:11 PM

Yes, I had to pay and take defensive driving, even though he wrote down the wrong intersection.

You've got to pay to play.

Please keep your eyes on the road next time, and pull over if you really must use your cell phone, it ended safely with a ticket. Next time a rear end collision won't be as nice.

Quick Reply: Can I get out of this Ticket?