Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Career advice/suggetsions...

Old 11-07-2007, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Career advice/suggetsions...

Hey Everyone! I just turned 26 years OLD and still don't really know what I want to do. I have a few ideas such as; owning my own business, going back to school to get my Master's, or flight school (if I could afford it). I currently work for a state government agency examining mortgage companies that does allow me to travel around the country. The travel is nice, but not being home is starting to wear me down. This job is OK, but it's not for me as there is NO mental stimulation, no challenges, and I feel as though I'm wasting my time and talents just being here. I'm to the point now that when I get up in the morning, I dread it and tempt myself to just call in sick and when I do show up, I work really slow and end up surfing the web.

My question is this; how did you find what you really like to do? I know what my interests are, but I'm not sure how to go about finding a career that fits ME and my wants, needs, abilities, and talents. Any reasonable suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cris P.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:47 PM

have you tried taking a personality test to give you ideal occupations?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by s2cmpugh,Nov 7 2007, 11:29 AM
Hey Everyone! I just turned 26 years OLD and still don't really know what I want to do. I have a few ideas such as; owning my own business, going back to school to get my Master's, or flight school (if I could afford it). I currently work for a state government agency examining mortgage companies that does allow me to travel around the country. The travel is nice, but not being home is starting to wear me down. This job is OK, but it's not for me as there is NO mental stimulation, no challenges, and I feel as though I'm wasting my time and talents just being here. I'm to the point now that when I get up in the morning, I dread it and tempt myself to just call in sick and when I do show up, I work really slow and end up surfing the web.

My question is this; how did you find what you really like to do? I know what my interests are, but I'm not sure how to go about finding a career that fits ME and my wants, needs, abilities, and talents. Any reasonable suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cris P.
welcome to the rat race world!!!

I have a similarly boring job but with no travel. I sit here like a dolt, screwing around most of the day.....it pays my bills and allows me to buy stupid stuff.

I think we have a thread similar to this every week or two..... Raptor will post how awesome his job is and the rest of us pretty say "welcome to the rat race"

Ideally we would all have jobs helping people or creating new products or golfing or driving race cars...... but unfortuntely someone has to count beans, make beans, sell beans, ship beans, etc.....

Goodluck......
Old 11-07-2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by CFactor,Nov 7 2007, 01:47 PM
have you tried taking a personality test to give you ideal occupations?
Not yet no...where do I look to take one of those?

Cris P.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:25 PM

Received 1,218 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot,Nov 7 2007, 02:58 PM
Raptor will post how awesome his job is and the rest of us pretty say "welcome to the rat race"
That's what breathing toxic fumes has done to me.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck, dude. most jobs will suck. i think what scot means is find what you can tolerate.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:05 PM

Received 1,218 Likes on 934 Posts

Let's start with your education. What is your degree in?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:26 PM

I believe this is one of the main reasons that s2ki(especially off topic) is so popular.... haha
Old 11-07-2007, 02:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Raptor,Nov 7 2007, 07:05 PM
Let's start with your education. What is your degree in?
And what are your wants, needs, abilities, and talents?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vtec9,Nov 7 2007, 03:29 PM
And what are your wants, needs, abilities, and talents?
Answer these first OP

Quick Reply: Career advice/suggetsions...