Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Be careful out there

Old 02-05-2002, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Be careful out there

2 killed in racing accident

02/04/2002

KIMBERLY DURNAN / Staff Writer

Two people were killed and four others injured late Sunday when one of two cars racing on Interstate 635 near Mesquite struck a sport-utility vehicle carrying six people, Mesquite police said.

The driver of a 1998 red Honda Civic veered out of control into a 2001 Chevy Suburban. The impact forced the Suburban to flip over the guardrail, roll into the northbound lanes of traffic and land upside down. The driver, Luther Moore Burleson, 76, of Corpus Christi and passenger, Donna Marsh, 49, were ejected from the vehicle and suffered fatal injuries.

The driver of the Honda, Rodney Michael Espiritu, 23, has been charged with two counts of manslaughter and three counts of aggravated assault, said Sgt. William Artesi. His bond has been set for $450,000. Mr. Espiritu was not injured, police said.

Police said they are also looking for the driver of a two-door black Nissan 240 SSX who sped away from the scene.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:35 AM

i guess there goes another idiot racer that wont see daylight for a while. i guess thats what he gets for racing a civic thats not ment to go that fast.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by bayarea408
i guess there goes another idiot racer that wont see daylight for a while. i guess thats what he gets for racing a civic thats not ment to go that fast.
Unbelievable comment.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:07 AM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2kturkey
[B]Unbelievable comment.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WestSideBilly
[B]

Justification for the ignore list.

What bugs me about this is that this board, which has basically banned politics and pictures of women, still has a street racing forum.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:55 AM

It's strange, but is seems the most strident street races are the last people you see at track day.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say that on the very rare occasions I stray into the street encounters forum, I start arguing with the people posting in there..... a good reason for me to stay clear of that forum I think....

I also agree with 2kturkey that was a pretty unbelievable comment bayarea!!
Old 03-14-2002, 12:52 AM

this is very sad...

for the people in the Suburban...
Old 03-14-2002, 05:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm perhaps a "this could be you...so be careful out there" posting to the street encounters forum would be a good idea.

quite sad, and I hope they catch the runaway. I'm sure, once caught, he'll have an even higher bail (if any at all) set for him.
Old 03-14-2002, 06:18 AM

There is a time and a place for everything. These racers refused that notion and decided to take their pissing contest onto the highway. I don't understand why some of these people would risk their lives and the lives of other motorists just to prove 'my car is faster than yours' (or I prefer to call it 'my p*nis is bigger than yours! Look! Look!').
Let's face it. Alot of people (don't want to say everyone) street race at one point or another. You should at least use SOME common sense if you're going to do it (ie. not around traffic, set speed parameters, go to an isolated location). These a$$holes probably jsut saw each other on the hwy and just started racing and throwing caution to the wind (I live here and see it ALL the time). Alot of the 'racers' around here have no idea what they are doing or what their cars are capable (or not capable) of doing. Just because they mod their car w/ some obscure or even name-brand product that it will magically handle like a BMW or Ferrari and that since they street race all the time that they qualify as a 'good driver'. I apologize for this rant. I just see ALOT of stupid, needless sh*t around here in the north texas area.
I hope they throw the book at Mr. Espiritu and catch the person(s) in the 240 SX. They showed no compassion, thought or consideration to the other motorists on the road. By a jury of their peers, why should they? I sympathize w/ the victims in the suburban. This was a needless tragedy should not have happened.
I think posting this in the 'Street Encounters' section is a good idea. ALSO, you might want to post this in the North Texas Club forum as well. Just a thought.
Please be careful out there. Use your head and encourage others to do so! If you encounter a dangerous driver, please do not encourage him by racing him. There is no shame in backing down from a challenge (I do it all the time up here). Better safe than sorry.