Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

DVD vs HD DVD

Old 04-23-2007, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD vs HD DVD

I watched Superman Returns on Blu ray disc and I was really impressed by the quality in HD. I always thought a Dvd was good but the HD disc is way better. I currently have over 600 DVDs in my collection. Should I stop buying Dvds and start a new collection of HD movies? The only problem is that I might have to choose betweent a HD dvd and Blu ray disc.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:30 AM

Hedge your bets and get a dual format player.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:37 AM

blu ray is going to win the war. all movie studios supports it cept universal. they'll give in soon.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's still too early to tell to is going to win. Studio support means zilch. What matters is actual sales. BluRay is out selling HD-DVD here in the US by a significant margin, but in Europe, I believe HD-DVD is on top, or they are pretty much even. Also, HD-DVD hardware sales (i.e. players) are higher across the board.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:40 AM

Your movie collection is going to be stored on a hard drive in a few years. Don't invest in either. I have seen the future, and it is good.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:11 AM

HD DVD players are going WAY down in price. I think that is what will decide the "format war".. whichever side can start selling HD players at $199 will win. Americans are cheap, we all know it Chinese manufacturers along with Wal Mart just announced they opened up a factory in China to mass produced HD DVD players and sell them cheap in the US (think Apex brand).

And as far as your 600 DVDs.. look into something like the Toshiba XA2. It's on sale this week at Best Buy for $499 and upconverts all regular SD DVDs to 1080p.. the best upscaler of any HD player by far. Check out reviews of it online, has gotten superb reviews everywhere. (You also get 5 free movies (mail-in rebate) with the purchase of any Toshiba HD DVD player right now.) I think that gives HD DVD an advantage over Blu Ray also.. BR players can't play SD DVDs atm.

Samsung, who has only supported BR so far, has also recently announced that they are in the works of releasing a stand alone HD DVD player. Seeing a manufacturer jump ship this early in the game is not good for BR. I don't see anyone winning the "war" until at least after Christmas of this year.. if ever. I mean if both sides get enough support then everyone will just have to buy both players or a dual format player.

And yes, I'm biased.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:15 AM

Also, BR jumped ahead after Christmas because of the PS3 and weak releases in the first quarter by the HD DVD studios but since the middle of March that has all changed.

Best Buy and Circuit City have had big promotions pushing HD DVD players (get 4 free HD DVDs in store, and 5 through the mail) in the past 3 weeks which seems to have helped a lot.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:24 AM

At this point, until the HD / Blue Ray (see Beta / VHS) format battle is over I opted for a $99 Sony unit that emulates 1080P. Even my old DVD's look much better

HD units are $350 or less and Blue Ray are still at $600

My feel is that HD will win as they have shared the editing programs for HD, for free, with the P$rn industry. Sales of X rated videos account for 15% of all DVD sales. Seems as though Blue Ray is a bit "behind".
Old 04-23-2007, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by thatguyjosh,Apr 23 2007, 11:11 AM
And as far as your 600 DVDs.. look into something like the Toshiba XA2. It's on sale this week at Best Buy for $499 and upconverts all regular SD DVDs to 1080p.. the best upscaler of any HD player by far. Check out reviews of it online, has gotten superb reviews everywhere.
i haven't had a chance to look at the reviews, but how does this compare to the Oppo players?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oppo and upconveting DVD players are awesome, but don't hold a candle to an actual HD format dvd.

As to which will win, I'm guessing Blu-Ray judging from the better titles, which is unfortunate because I have HD-DVD. As for upconverting, I stuck a regular dvd into my 360 HD-DVD player and it looks awesome, so don't worry about your old collection.

Current HD-DVD players will make your original collection better than before.

Quick Reply: DVD vs HD DVD