Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Favorite Art Peice, and/or Favorite Book

Old 10-10-2007, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favorite Art Peice, and/or Favorite Book

Magician gave me the idea when he piped up that his favorite instrument were the Bassoon and Oboe.

Also, if you'd like, add why you like that piece or book.

Of course i'll start,

I personally like Guernica by Picasso for obvious reasons; being that it symbolizes the violence of war and how grueling fascism can be. Its actually quite a disturbing picture, and meant to be that way for the viewer to not look at it too long. And for an addition, the sculpture of Longinus by Bernini is inspiring to me since it has family traces.

Guernica
Longinus

My favorite book at the moment is Age of Turbulence by Alan Greenspan, which is a very good read for anyone in politics or economics. I was surprised a topic about it wasn't brought up in the Investing section.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:08 PM

Current art favorite is the pop artist SHAG

and favorite book right now oddly enough is Culture Warrior by Bill O'Reilly
Old 10-11-2007, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my favorite for the moment.

Van Gogh - Street in Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer
http://www.metmuseum.org/special/Van_Gogh/...p?item=1&view=1
Old 10-11-2007, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not an art fan at all, however my favorite book is Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Former Moderator

I have soooo many favourite works of art, it would be stupid to list them all, so if I had to, I guess it would be the Persistance of Memory by Dali.

Fav book, probably The Long Walk, a short story by Stephen King.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:16 AM

Favorite Artist is Hisashi Otsuka. We have about 12 of his works around the house. My favorite being the 47 Ronin Ultimate Vision. A lot of the women in his paintings look like my wife - especially this one if I could get the wife to dress up in her kimono like this! - http://www.hisashiotsuka.com/otsuka_lady_f...g_blossoms.htm
We have met him a few times and my father-in-law had him over for dinner once (FIL has about 20 of his works at least, including some originals). Awesome artist and nice guy.

http://www.hisashiotsuka.com/
Old 10-11-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

My favorite piece is a wood sculpture in the Gilcrease in Oklahoma. Its titled Shame and is an nat. American woman covering her face, but I can't remember the artist now...
Old 10-11-2007, 10:16 AM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

I love most of the works of Rauschenberg, Klee, some Rothko, as well as a local artists of note, Wayne Thibaud and Richard Diebenkorn.

One set of pieces for which I'd love to get G-prints though are a set of miniatures by Miro. I'm not a huge fan of the rest of Miro's work, but those miniatures were extraordinary.

My favorite book is "The Real Frank Zappa Book."
Old 10-11-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Not really much of an art snob, I like Van Gogh especially Terrace Cafe At Midnight. My favorite painting is not real well known but it would be called "Barns, Prince Edward Island" I think by an artist named Sandy Wadlington. I just find it relaxing. A print of it hangs above my bed.

I also am a big fan of the photgraphy of Peter Lik.

Favorite book?

As a kid "Where the Red Fern Grows" as an adult, perhaps "Black Hawk Down." Very intense for a book.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favorite piece of art is probably the Vincent Black Shadow, for its blend of style and function.

Sorry, no one favorite book. More like a top 100 or so...

Quick Reply: Favorite Art Peice, and/or Favorite Book