Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Flying Experiences this weekend

Old 10-01-2001, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Experiences this weekend

My wife and I had to go to Memphis for a meeting. Leaving out of Charlotte on a direct flight.

Got to the airport 2hrs early. Police stopped us as we went into the parking lot to make sure we didnt have a bomb or something, they just looked in.

Inside the line was very LONG, and got longer as we stood there as tons of people came in after us (we were just in time)

Waited 1hr and 15 min to get to the checkin desk.

Not too much wait at the metal detectors except for people trying to get in without tickets, wrong tickets, etc.

Plane complications. Didnt let us board. Ended up on a different plane that had passengers on it. They had their flight cancelled, bags removed. Put ours on it and we took off 35min late. Too bad for the folks going to Birmingham that day

On the way back we checked in, 30min wait. My wife was accosted at the metal detect for having a diet coke in her hand. She had to leave it. Weird. No other problems until we got home and checked our answerphone messages. US air had left a message on the day before our return flight that it was cancelled and to rebook. If we had checked our messages from Memphis, it would have changed our whole day!! I guess they had decided to uncancel the flight before we got there and didnt tell us anything about it. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!!

They still have alot of bugs to work out in this system. BTW if you are from Memphis, and are flying out, You must go to the ticket counter even if you have no bags if you have an Eticket. They just wont let you in with one. No prob in Charlotte, but in Memphis they just dont like 'em I guess.

I am probably not going to fly again for awhile, NOT because I am scared of hijackers, but because the airlines dont have their S*&T together yet. I m sure it will work out in the end.

Guess Ill just drive the S2K instead!!
Old 10-01-2001, 03:29 PM

It's funny, there was an article in the newpaper yesterday about people driving more instead of flying. A lot of people stated the extra hassles at airports and the extra time needed to get on planes for choosing to drive instead of fly.
Old 10-02-2001, 03:27 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

ya, people used to fly from here to NYC which is only about a 3 hour drive even for pokey folks... (unless you get trapped in some rush hour traffice, etc....).... well now that it takes 2 hours at the airport, 45 minutes in the air, 2 hours to get out of the airport (joking), rent a car or pay a cab, etc..... You are way ahead to just drive.

I think that goes for anything around 5-6 hours of driving... just plain easier and almost as quick to drive.

Scot
Old 10-02-2001, 05:23 AM

I flew to Denver this past weekend and the only problem I encountered was America West's inabilty to leave on time, which is not a recent development- they were inept long before Sept. 11.
Old 10-04-2001, 05:56 AM

I just fly myself! Of course, we don't have drink service and the luggage space makes the S2k look like a Suburban... and I have to train some guy in the back/front seat to fly. But it does look cool and go real fast... and lands on ships.

I'll be flying down to Key West this weekend. Enroute, I'll probably stop in Memphis, Jacksonville and maybe Augusta on the way home to Meridian.
Old 10-04-2001, 06:04 AM

Cool job, I bet. The ultimate sports machine!
Old 10-04-2001, 06:11 AM

Well, yeah, it does ok. T-45 isn't much of a turning machine, though. It has a large turn radius, but it can "rate" very well. It can also pull 7.33g and can go 550kias on the deck. However, it's nothing like a Hornet- flies just like the video games you can buy... can't wait to get into one myself.
Old 10-04-2001, 06:25 AM

this must sound like a "duh" question .... but, do you have to be a US citizen to fly fighter jets?

how fast is 1 mach? in terms of miles per hour, I heard 1 mach is the speed of sound.

I give props to these pilots, some craving for speed
Old 10-04-2001, 06:40 AM

Well, you can buy your own used fighter jet if you have the $$$... there's plenty of old vintage ones. But, to fly real military jets you have to be an officer in the Navy or Air Force and that requires being a citizen, etc.

Mach 1 varies. Mach number is the ratio of your True Airspeed to the local speed of sound. True airspeed is basically how fast you're moving through an air mass. At sea level, Mach 1.0 is somewhere in the 700knot range, but this will vary with atmospheric conditions. Up real high in the atmosphere, where the air is thinner, it's easier to achieve Mach even though you're not going any faster through the air mass that you were on the "deck." But, yes, you are going faster over the ground.

And as a comparison... we cruise at altitude similar to most airliners. We do long trips at 30-40000 feet where our indicated airspeed is in the 230kias ballpark (indicated is basically measuring the dynamic pressure of the air ramming into the pitot tube- kind of like a molecule counter). Our true airspeed up there is about 420 and we usually indicate .80 Mach cause the air's so thin up there. Our ground speed will vary from 420 based on winds. You fly like this up high cause to get 420 down low you'd need to indicate 420... which means pushing alot of thick air and hence burning more fuel.

Sorry for the long-winded reply...