Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

How does one sell a car?

Old 10-30-2003, 07:00 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like such a stupid question to me, but here goes anyway :

I'm looking to unload my '95 Pontiac Grand Am, but I really have no idea how to go about it. I mean, obviously I'm gonna advertise, etc., but how does one actually oficially change the ownership of the car? I have the title in hand. Surely it's not as simple as handing it over to someone, is it? What other things do I need to take care of? Boxes to check with the state?
Old 10-30-2003, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have the basic idea, they give you money, you give them the car and the title

There are small nuances that differ from state to state, but overall the endorsed title AND a bill of sale should allow the buyer to register the car in their name.

I'd call a used car dealer and ask what they do, I'm sure you can find at least one cool dealer that will help. Also, there can be a little sport in addressing the taxes, or not, for the buyer and seller. Again check with a local used car dealer to see what games are warranted in your area.

Good Luck
Old 10-30-2003, 08:18 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Let your motor vehicle dept know you have sold it so you won't be liable for tickets it accumulates after it leaves your hands.
Don't take a check (maybe not even certified cause they can be faked) unless you go to the bank with the buyer and cash it, before signing over the title.
Don't meet the buyer for a test drive at night or in an out-of-the-way area. Take along a friend, a BIG friend. Don't let anyone drive it without you in the car.
Sorry if these are too basic, but you asked.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you have to do is sign the title over to them (As long as it is free of leins), write up a bill of sale saying x sold it to y for $z on this date. And then they go and register it and pay the sales tax when they register it. It's easy.

*This is what I remmeber from buying and selling used cars in Florida before I moved to California.