Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

I want to build a patio cover

Old 04-07-2008, 05:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I want to build a patio cover

So, I have a patio in my back yard that's about 12'x22'. I'd like to put a patio cover over it, but I'm not sure where to start. I don't want to pay somebody to do it, because it doesn't seem like it would be that hard... as long as you know what you're doing.

The biggest questions that I've come up with are:
1) How to I attach it to the house?
2) Is there a specific roof-pitch that is considered optimal?
3) What if I want it to be a balcony instead of just a patio cover? My master bedroom is right above this area, and it would be neat to have a walk-out balcony from the master bedroom. Are there any special considerations for that (special load considerations, etc)?
4) Are there any books that you'd recommend that show building techniques and possibly have some pictures for design ideas?

Thanks for any pointers you can provide!
Old 04-07-2008, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as you know what you're doing.

The biggest questions that I've come up with are:
1) How to I attach it to the house?
2) Is there a specific roof-pitch that is considered optimal?
3) What if I want it to be a balcony instead of just a patio cover? My master bedroom is right above this area, and it would be neat to have a walk-out balcony from the master bedroom. Are there any special considerations for that (special load considerations, etc)?
if i had to ask myself those question, I would say i dont know what im doing

http://www.google.com/search?q=home+improv...ie=utf8&oe=utf8

may help..who knows
Old 04-07-2008, 05:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a contractor. you will save time, and more importantly ALOT of money.
especially if you are thinking of making it load bearing.
if you dont already know how to do it, dont try it now.
pay somebody, watch them, research, than maybe try it out next time.

you will be ripping in to your house and that is not something you want to mess up.

you will also need to submit plans for a permit.

Dave

another thought is to do a pergola. you can do that easily and attach some roman shade type cover for shade.
that is easy.

http://www.backyardamerica.com/pergola_canopies.htm
Old 04-07-2008, 08:30 PM
jah

the pitch and things; look at your house and or what is next door, copy this.

you will have to file a building permit

materials are expensive, can you accept this.

do you have the tools

good luck/ have fun.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jah,Apr 7 2008, 10:30 PM
you will have to file a building permit
And get approval from my HOA, which will probably be even more difficult than getting a permit.
materials are expensive, can you accept this.
I don't mind paying for materials... I just don't like paying for labor if it's something I can do myself. Somebody on this forum has a sig that says: "Buy tools, not labor." Sounds like a good strategy to me.
do you have the tools
Some, but not all. I built risers in my media room for 'stadium seating', so I have things like drills, circle saw, etc... but I need a good table saw and some other things, I'm sure.
good luck/ have fun.
Thanks!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:27 AM
jah

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Apr 8 2008, 05:09 AM
I don't mind paying for materials... I just don't like paying for labor if it's something I can do myself. Somebody on this forum has a sig that says: "Buy tools, not labor." Sounds like a good strategy to me.
two houses ago i signed up to put in my own electrical. this included everything... all the wiring, fixtures, everything. i even did the cut off box on the meter pole outside and the under ground to the house, i dug the trench too.

i was not able to get materials at a low enough price thus i could have had a contractor for near the same cost.

the next house i installed tile floor, through out the house, we have lots of pets and the tile is more durable. i think i did better in materials cost.

pick your battle with care

all told these were must do life experiences.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:51 AM

I wouldn't be discouraged, if there's a will, there's a way. I built my garage myself, had an archeitect draw up the plans which I used for permitting and subbed out the foundation/slab work to a concrete guy but did everything else myself - framing, stick-built trusses, shingles, electrical, even the masonry facade. It took a couple months but I saved huge $$. I had some experience with smaller projects but nothing that large. Five years later, its still standing and looking good - I'll post some pics. Some advice:

* Find some good books, try Home Depot, Lowes or even your local library. Even if they don't cover exactly what you want, you will probably pick up some tips/tricks/good advice. I'd take a good look at outdoor patio/deck books, as this is the right area code for what you are trying to do.

* Don't be afraid to ask for help. If you know someone in the trades, I'm sure they will be happy to give you some advice. Also, call in favors from friends, even if they don't have the skills. An extra set of hands, even for a couple hours, can really speed your progress.

* Take your time. Measure three times, cut once. Think ahead before you start the next component.

* Be safe. Ladders are a home-owner's worst enemy, use with caution. Always use safety glasses and, if needed, hearing protection.

Your project doesn't sound too bad. You'll need a strong ledger board to affix to the house. If your facade is masonry, you'll need concrete anchors, if its siding you'll be able to use lag screws and brackets. The other important part is the support posts. Depending on where you live you'll need to dig down a bit below frost line for your foundation to support the posts. Once you have all these anchor points set, the rest is just framing.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Apr 7 2008, 05:38 AM
I want to build a patio cover
Good luck let me know what happens.