Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

I want a DOG!

Old 09-24-2001, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want a DOG!

I'm in the Bay Area. Im looking into buying a golden lab retreiver. Where can I find a good breeder? What prices should I expect to see? Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm kind of anxious. My house is all ready for the new addition. Im psyched but I just need the dog now.

HELP ME OUT GUYS!
Old 09-25-2001, 06:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not try adopting a rescue dog? I used to be a foster home for Boxer Rescue until my foster dog stole my heart! You get a purebred dog that is housetrained, vaccinated, and usually deeply grateful to have a good home, all for less than a puppy will cost, and you're not contributing to the pet overpopulation problem that way...

Do a search! I'm sure there's a Golden Retriever rescue program in your area...
Old 09-25-2001, 07:47 AM

I will tell you that I fell in love with my boxer puppy in January and yes it was an expensive affair to have. I have since met several people that have rescued boxers and they have turned into wonderful companions.

Now with that being said, I would think that a pure-bread Labrador retriever is going to cost you several hundred dollars. What that would translate to is closer to a thousand than the lower end of the spectrum.

We got our puppy in Phoenix from a local store there with all of the papers and documentation on the breeders. All told I walked out of the store $1200.00 lighter. That is very competitive with what my parents paid for their Yellow Labrador the year prior. Now also understand that I didn't own any doggie supplies so there is cost included in that figure.

If you were to buy directly from the breeder I would expect that the price would be a little less but I don't think that I would buy from anyone that you don't have a good recommendation about.

The pricing varies depending on the season, number of puppies in the litter and who the parents are. Obviously there are other factors too given the color and size of the puppy and also gender.

Having lived through the house training and obedience, I can tell you that I would do it all over again. Good luck. Post some pictures if you go through with it.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:05 AM

Retired Greyhounds can also be had very cheap. Not that you would want one but for others reading this forum. They are very social animals because of all the human activity at greyhound tracks. And contrary to what most think they are not high strung. They go real fast for a few minutes then are content to lay around. It's a shame most get put down.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:09 AM

That is very true as well. There are a couple of Greyhounds in the neighborhood and each looks like a very good dog.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by taylor01
[B]
We got our puppy in Phoenix from a local store there with all of the papers and documentation on the breeders.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TrojanHorse
[B]

$1200!!! Never buy from a pet store.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:40 AM

just remember that retrievers (labs or otherwise) will have the "child" mentality for at least 2 years if not more. they'll not know their own strength and size, and though i love them to death, i would probably only adopt a 2 year old or older lab from now on.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:21 AM

Mingster, that goes for every dog. They're just like kids. It takes at least two years for the child to grow up and develop an adult personality. 2 human years=14 dog years, so at age two they are still adolesents. Our present dog was supposed to be a chihuahua, but a pikineese got in there too so we ended up with a sooner. Sooner be a dog than anything else. She's almost as ugly comming as going, has absolutlely no inteligence, but I've never seen a better childs dog. She will let the kids do anything to her.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by wirejock
Mingster, that goes for every dog. They're just like kids. It takes at least two years for the child to grow up and develop an adult personality. 2 human years=14 dog years, so at age two they are still adolesents. Our present dog was supposed to be a chihuahua, but a pikineese got in there too so we ended up with a sooner. Sooner be a dog than anything else. She's almost as ugly comming as going, has absolutlely no inteligence, but I've never seen a better childs dog. She will let the kids do anything to her.
That is true too! I can't tell you how many shoes have little teeth marks in them. Although I can't imagine seeing a five or seven year old teething on his mothers sweaty pumps!

Our dog at 11 months is very much a child. He will try anything to see how much he can get away with. I had the hardest time scolding him as I thought that he would not like me. It is actually quite the contrary. Once you establish yourself as the leader they will do whatever they are supposed to do.

Quick Reply: I want a DOG!