Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Laser Eye Surgery?

Old 07-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser Eye Surgery?

Anyone had it done? Cost? Regrets? Referrals or places to avoid at all costs in Southern CA?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:44 PM

Had it done in December after having contacts for 8 years.I had piss poor vision before and now see 20/20, dealt with halo's for a few months especially at night when driving and my eyes are a little more sensitive to sunlight.Also my eyes feel and look healthier with the contacts out.

Cost varies,I paid $2k for basic surgery and advanced surgery with iLasik was upwards of $4k with no guarantee it would be better than basic...my vision was horrendous before so it makes things more expensive.

Took about a week till things felt normal again and I was back at work.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:54 PM

I been wanting to do mine but it never fails, every time I go to the doctor and he tells me about the procedure, my stomach turns inside out.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:01 PM

Worst part is the burning flesh smell as the laser fires,which isn't really too bad if you know the smell.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Former Moderator

I had it done 5 years ago maybe, I'd have to look it up. ( there is a big post here about it somewhere )

Still the best thing I ever did for myself. It took me years to get the courage to do it, as I can't even touch my eye without freaking out.

Turns out the procedure is so simple, non traumatic, and actually cool I couldn't believe I waited so long.

Had the halos for a while, whille it was healing, and as above, I'm a little more sensitive to light now, as in a really bright sunny day, it's uncomfortable to be outside wiht out sunglasses.

It was $1800.00 for me, though it ( at least at the time) was far cheaper in Canada.

I gave up my insanely good close up vision for "ok" close up vision. But they say that fades as you get older anyway. Even with that, I'd do it a 100 times over.

Do it.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They promise to change your vision, not correct it. You really need to understand that.

According to my eyes and everything I read it might correct the power, but it adds astigmatism. Astigmatism is what keeps the vision from being clear. You can have 20/20 vision with astigmatism and not have clear vision.

I've had it done 3 times and my vision is the worst it's been in my life. I have good power, but poor astigmatism.

I have met very few people, other than those who used to have coke bottle lenses, who were completely satisfied.

Bottom line the worse your vision the more you'll appreciate it.

I'm told if you really want good vision do the lens replacement. I'm told this by nurses and people who have had both lasik and lenses.

That's what I'm saving for.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

DB8, do you have a specific question. LASIK is such a board subject that I can't give you a general answer. If you don't feel like sharing your personal medical info, send me a PM. caveat, without knowing your specific refraction and other eye parameters, I may not be able to give complete advices.
It's good for most folks but not for everybody. Depending on the person's eye, LASIK may or may not be a good idea. Know what you want and what the procedure offers.

BTW, I trained in Socal so I know the ophtho community quite a bit. What general location are you looking for? OC, SD or LA?

WildnCrazy, that procedure is called "clear lens exchange". It's more invasive (ie. riskier) than LASIK and is only a good idea for a small subset of patients.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

WildnCrazy,
I reread your post and if I'm correct, you have had refractive laser correction x 3 and still need further correction? And the surgeon is willing to offer clear lens exchange? I don't know the specifics of your eyes but I would venture that you should seek a second opinion.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:00 PM

I only had one eye done and I now have 20/20 vision (looking with both eyes). Changed my life cause. I had horrible vision and I never wore glasses or contracts...just ran around blind for 6 years. Money well spent.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I had 20/350 near sighted vision before my operation. 9 months ago I had the operation performed at a staggering $1600 per eye (that God for Flex spending!) Now I have 20/15. My eyes do get a bit dry sometimes, but I haven't used drops 3 months past the operation. There is a bit of hazing, but after a few blinks it goes away. All in all, I'd do it again. No more worrying about glasses or losing my contacts at the beach. I definitely recommend it. As far as doctors are concerned, I had my operation performed in Raleigh, so I probably couldn't recommend any one unless you're willing to fly out

Quick Reply: Laser Eye Surgery?