Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Macallan Scotch

Old 10-22-2009, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macallan Scotch

I just got an (unsolicited) e-mail invitation to a Macallan Single-Malt Scotch tasting in Los Angeles in two weeks. I confirmed with the venue that they have an event scheduled with Macallan - I'm always suspicious of e-mail invitations - so I plan to go, and have invited a friend who's a single-malt Scotch aficionado; although I've Scottish ancestry, I've never drunk Scotch.

Is anyone here familiar with Macallan? What are your opinions on their products?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Macallan a lot. I use Glenlivet as a benchmark because it's found at most restaurants: I find that Macallan, while great-tasting, is a bit harsher than the Glenlivet. It's harder to drink because of this. I suggest getting a shot of Glenlivet at a bar/restaurant and trying it; first with no ice, then with one ice cube and see how you like it. Some like their Scotch on the rocks, but I don't want it too diluted.

FWIW you shouldn't pass up the opportunity if you can make it.

Edited after realizing Magician will surely be reading this post.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Incubus,Oct 22 2009, 09:04 AM
Edited after realizing Magician will surely be reading this post.
Well, somebody's feeling guilty.

(Note: magician's not capitalized. )

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macallan is my favorite scotch, and I believe it is generally considered to be one of the best "normal" single malt scotches. By normal I mean it's not from Islay or one of the other islands, whose scotches tend to be very peaty and smoky (they taste like my fireplace, IMHO).

I enjoy a dram of Macallan 12 yr on a regular basis, and an 18 yr on a particularly nice day. I'm not as big on their "Fine Oak" varieties, which are aged in used sherry casks and unused American oak casks. The non-fine oak Macallans are aged strictly in sherry oak, and have a much richer color and flavor, in my experience.

You can't go wrong with any of them. No ice if you can avoid it. Have fun!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 1,185 Likes on 913 Posts

Bill-

Are you going to the game on Saturday?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by The Raptor,Oct 22 2009, 09:28 AM
Bill-

Are you going to the game on Saturday?
Alas, no.

Since getting fired in May the luxuries have had to go; season tickets are a "luxury" (I'm told).

Good news, though: it looks like I'll have a consulting position starting mid-November that should pay very (very) well! And Monday I'm meeting with a gentleman to try to get some venture capital financing, so things are looking up.

Are you a Scotch drinker, George?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 AM

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Hooch tastings can be good networking tools; this is a bit dependent on how many people are invited and the location. I'd recommend going regardless of your opinion of the product.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 1,185 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by magician,Oct 22 2009, 10:35 AM
Alas, no.

Since getting fired in May the luxuries have had to go; season tickets are a "luxury" (I'm told).

Good news, though: it looks like I'll have a consulting position starting mid-November that should pay very (very) well! And Monday I'm meeting with a gentlemen to try to get some venture capital financing, so things are looking up.

Are you a Scotch drinker, George?
Good luck with that, Bill.

No, I hate Scotch.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 AM

I think Tedow summed it up nicely. It's a nice reliable Scotch. Nothing fancy or challenging. You won't be overwhelmed by peat or smoke. As it ages it becomes smoother with a little less of a bite.

A good starter Scotch is Dalwhinnie. It's a little sweeter with less of an alcohol taste. I think of it as Scotch easy. Ask your buddy to give you a little pour if he has some in his stash.

BTW, I received the same invitation.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=Tedow,Oct 22 2009, 09:26 AM]I'm not as big on their "Fine Oak" varieties, which are aged in used sherry casks and unused American oak casks.

Quick Reply: Macallan Scotch