Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Man vs Wild

Old 07-22-2007, 05:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was the base of his canteen. It separates into a "cup."
Old 07-22-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh... i didnt even know he had a canteen. Guess i missed that part.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oOweEe,Jul 22 2007, 06:02 PM
Oh... i didnt even know he had a canteen. Guess i missed that part.
he has a canteen, a knife, a flintstick, and the clothes he is wearing in every episode (although i dont recall the flintstick in some of the earlier ones)

oh and also, i like to think that it is 99% real and 1% staged, it makes it more interesting so dont ruin it for me

tiger sharks swimming under your make-shift bamboo raft doesnt seem staged to me, but the rescue sure did (especially b/c there was a helicopter flying overhead lol). i think that was one of those life or death situations where he needed to be rescued b/c it didnt look like his raft was floating too well during the shark part
Old 07-22-2007, 07:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trainwreck,Jul 20 2007, 05:14 PM
episode where he has to float down a cold river, u can tell he is wearing a wetsuit underneath this clothes.
I believe the producers made him wear it so he wouldn't die. Regardless of how questionable some of Bear's survival techniques are, Man vs. Wild is a lot more entertaining than Survivorman, and thats what TV is all about
Old 07-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Former Moderator

As far as the clothes go. Pay attention to the beginning of the show. He always states WHY he is where he is. So, if you are a stranded person in that region, you will be equipped like he is. If you are visiting Alaska, you will have a fleece, a warm coat, good boots, etc etc. There is nothing he wears or has that would be out of the ordinary for a normal person in that part of the world.

Now, for those saying it's staged. Its not. Unless you believe he works on a set, and NOT at the actual location, then fine. But, if you believe he is where he is, you cannot stage what he does. You cannot stage jumping into a pool of arctic water. You cannot stage downclimbing with no gear. You can not stage him getting cut. Sure, he is probably a bit better off than you and I would be alone out there, but he is still out there. I dont believe that when the cameras turn off, he hops into a nice tent, and has a nice cup o tea and soup. Of course, unlike you or I, if the sh!t REALLY hits the fan, he will get instant help, but the stuff he does is still dangerous.

Personally, I actually learned a lot from him watching the show. I never knew how to tell how much sunlight is left in the day.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:14 PM

great comments on both shows;

the flaws have been pointed out, but I prefer Man vs. Wild simply because Bear is more entertaining, more knowledgeable, and is simply bat-crazy about demonstrating survival techniques. Did anyone see the episode where Bear is trekking across a glacier, wants to demonstrate how to keep from dying if you fall into a crevasse, so he ties a rope to his pack, loops it to his belt, drags it behind him and JUMPS?? That's insane...
Old 07-22-2007, 08:56 PM

i dont like how he exaggerates or tells the worst case scenario as if it was likely going to happen. makes more a more intense experience, but sometimes it's too hard to believe. plus, i dont get how he can make fire in a place where it's wet.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Former Moderator

Even when everything is wet, there is always dry stuff to be found that burns. Once you light that, the fire will dry wet wood, and burn well. I learned that from my time in Russia.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:05 AM

FYI...

http://www.rei.com/product/737335

Have one in each of my cars now and on my keychain.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by GT_2003,Jul 20 2007, 02:33 PM
I'm pretty sure if you dropped Les Stroud and Bear Grylls on Mars, they'd show up in South America in 11 days Either that or Les would eat Bear while Bear explained to the camera that sometimes in survival situations you have to do whatever it takes to stay alive, then recount one instance in 1947 where a family of twelve ate their father and mother in order to survive 22 days trapped under a glacier
man vs wild is one of the best shows on tv.

Quick Reply: Man vs Wild