Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Misspelled word pet peeve

Old 01-09-2002, 06:58 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

DaveZ....yu, mi frend, has het thee nale awn thee hed!...such a thorn in my side when people use the word irregardless.

Also....the word "conversating".....again there is no such word...it's "conversing"
Old 01-09-2002, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Laird
[B]Hi Sondra:

Improper punctuation.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

VTECH and VTEC.

But what really gets to me are those posts with 50+ words and no punctuation (run on sentences).
Old 01-09-2002, 08:08 AM

Asheville. There allways mispeling Asheville.

-John
Old 01-09-2002, 08:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sondra S2K
[B]What is your most annoying, pet peeve word that you see misspelled often?
Old 01-09-2002, 08:37 AM

I have other things to worry about than other people's poor spelling or grammar.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:44 AM

Oh yeah, "irregardless". I love that one...

How about "unpeel": 'Jimmy wanted a light snack, so he decided to unpeel a banana and eat it.'

Wouldn't this be the art of re-attaching the peel???

Irregardless, I don't like it.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:57 AM

Attempting to de-ruffle feathers here. I hear it on PBS stations now. The language is changing to a more simple form. The Parsident cain't even talk. Don't think this can be construed to be an attack on anyone on this board, though, with all the folks in high and supposedly intelligent places speaking this way. But for the peeves: instantaneously vs. instantly. The word is used to convey speed. Taking longer to say it is doubly damning. And proven. This is not a form of the word proof. Proof is proved. STOP SAYING PROVEN!!!!! Hear it a hundred times a day. And from California: acclimatize. It's acclimate. And Jewelry not jew-la-ry. And those high ups with their fingers on the nucular button? And the bubble headed new reporters all say "At least ten people died..." well isn't that a relief. I was afraid no one had died. My largest problem is hearing dialects changing mid-word. Pronouncing the first couple syllables in an English dialect, and then the last in French or vice versa. I will accept conn-a-sewer, or connoisseur, but not conni-sewer! And the "Drive Thru". WTF is that? You wonder why the language is falling apart. Lowest common denominator, one size fits all, marketing marketing marketing. And the reason I would rather not have a computer at all vs. using AOL is the "You've Got Mail". How about "You have mail". What's the problem there? You have got mail??? Marketing for morons. Please. I know some of you must be on AOHELL, I don't blame you. Forgive me. This is why I need my S. To sooth myself with the beautiful sound of the engine. A sweeter sounding syntax you can't buy. (A post script for those of you strong enough to still be reading. Spell check won't even catch it if you type Drive Thru).
Old 01-09-2002, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2kturkey
[B]For starters how about hey instead of hay (which is what cows eat)
Old 01-09-2002, 09:42 AM

I mix or/our/are all the time and as/has. It's just me being in a hurry and not paying attention. The brain thinks one thing and the fingers type another. As for "too", it can also be a "fuzzy" amount or quantity as in "too much" or "too many". Many and much are not verbs so you can't "to many" or "to much".

You know there is also a nice little Spell Check button down below. It works pretty good. And why is "Abbreviation" such a long word?

Quick Reply: Misspelled word pet peeve