Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Mobile question - which cell service provides the best reception ?

Old 06-05-2004, 07:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Although I'm in the Long Island, NY area, I thought anyone could help with some of the technical questions so I've posted this on this forum. From what I've heard, most people say/believe that Verizon Wireless is optimal in the Long Island area. My current service right now is Verizon Wireless but sometimes (but not too often), I get intermittent loss of signal (but call doesn't get cut) and I only hear every other word the other person would say and thus I would annoyingly ask them to repeat what they said. And rarely, I get call disconnects. I suspect that not only is the service provider responsible for good reception but also the phone model itself, correct? I have the Motorola T720 which I've had for almost 2 years. Perhaps I just need a phone which gets better reception and not a change in service.

1. Is there anyone using Verizon Wireless in my area who is totally satisfied with their reception? And if so, what phone model do you use?
2. I believe Verizon uses CDMA - are there any drawbacks with this type of protocol?
3. IFF I were to switch service, can I preserve my current phone number?
4. Are there phones which support all modes (CDMA/TDMA/PCS/GSM) so that if I were to switch services, I could still hang onto the phone? This would also be convenient if Verizon decides to add protocols later on.
5. How do people use their phone around the world? I'm assuming that the answer to #4 must be yes as their phone can adapt to any kind of network?

TIA
Old 06-05-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I'm not from New York so I don't know about Verizon's reception quality and even if I were, I wouldn't be able to tell you as it varies to which specific spots you spend your time in. I've seen times where my Cingular phone has reception when a Verizon phone doesn't and other times where the Verizon will have service where mine won't. As long as you have reception where you spend most of your time, you should be good.

The T720 was a horrible phone and is completely outdated.

2. Verizon uses CDMA and Analog. They usually have coverage where no other phones do because they still use analog. However, analog is extremely draining on the battery and is also low on reception. As to whether CDMA is better than GSM/TDMA it's a toss up because different providers have different implementations. It's a matter of personal preference. The biggest drawback to CDMA technology is that it's difficult to upgrade phones. On GSM phones, you can upgrade your phone along with all your phone numbers and account in a matter of seconds by switching out your SIM card. Phones by Cingular, AT&T MMode, and T-Mobile are interchangeable.(all GSM) Also, some GSM phones work almost anywhere in the world while CDMA is still usually proprietary.

3. Yes you are able to keep your number. That law went into effect on May 24, 2004 all over the US. However, I think it went into effect even earlier in New York. You can also port your home # to be your cell phone number.

4. Not sure as to whether there is a multi mode phone like the one you're talking about but I don't see your reason as a valid reason to have one. Verizon won't be using another transmission protocol as it doesn't make sense. With the number portability, there's almost no point in staying with a single provider. The phone companies usually give quite a nice phone for free in order to have you use their service. If you're a tech gadget loving kind of person, sign a one year contract and just change services every year to get a new phone and the newest technology. I also recommend small independent shops as they're willing to sacrifice some of their commission to give you a better deal on a phone. For example, online you pay $200 for a V600 from Cingular. There are plenty of shops nearby me that give that phone for free with a new one year contract.

5. Look up on top. GSM phones that are tri/quad band 850/900/1800/1900 MHZ are able to be used all around the world. GSM is the standard technology worldwide. You can travel abroad and use international roaming (~$2 a minute) or buy a local prepaid sim card over there and just use your phone to call local places.

850/800- New North American GSM band. (think new AT&T and Cingular towers)
900- World GSM band. (non US)
1800-World GSM band. (non US)
1900-Older, more established GSM band.

If you have any other questions, let us know.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GSM is the standard technology worldwide.
Somewhat true, oddly much of Asia is still CDMA -- with China recently introducing their own CDMA spin-off. (why?)

With regards to the ability to use your GSM phone on other carrier networks -- you will need to have it unlocked first. Many carriers will do this after a certain time. T-Mobile is 6 months -- email a request to simunlock@t-mobile.com

I agree with Daniel, your phone is crap. Time for a new one.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:55 PM

Hehe thanks for the feedback guys. I know my phone is crap - the cool factor wore off after a couple of weeks (when I got it, it was one of the few with color screens and poly-tones). So I will stick with Verizon - does anyone have a phone they're happy with (and use Verizon's service)? Even though my mobile doesn't work in Europe doesn't mean I can't call Europe from here right?
Old 06-05-2004, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently switched from Sprint to AT&T and I'm quite pleased with the reception even inside buildings. But that doesn't say much since I'm not in your area. It's different everywhere...
Old 06-05-2004, 08:55 PM

You can call Europe from any phone.

If you plan on using a phone over there, you can pick up cheap handsets and prepaid SIMS in just about any country (Ireland being the cheapest I have found, Norway the most expensive).
Old 06-06-2004, 08:06 AM

It seems that mobile phone options are limited for use with Verizon Wireless. I'm looking for a clamshell design and am trying to decide between the Samsung (SCHa530/SCHa650) and AudioVox (CDM8600) models and I don't need the crappy camera feature - I have a dedicated digicam for that Which gets better reception/performance out of the two brands - anybody with experience? Something that would store addresses and not just numbers would be nice too. Is Motorola coming out with an updated model for Verizon? As far as clamshell color screen models go, Motorola still only has that crappy T720/T730 model in their Verizon lineup. Are there other color screen flip phones from Verizon I don't know about? Thanks.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:18 AM

I have Verizon for the more than 9 years since they were Airtouch...best coverage plain and simple.

Sam
Old 06-06-2004, 11:15 AM

Verizon user. They are the best that I've had. I've been with AT&T and Sprint. T-mobile sucks. Don't know too much about Cingular though.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:39 AM

Verizon user. They are the best that I've had. I've been with AT&T and Sprint. T-mobile sucks. Don't know too much about Cingular though.
Not that this thread should go in such a direction, but comments like this are pointless. Every carrier has areas of great coverage and areas of poor coverage.

At this point, other than regional service the biggest distinction between carriers is who is going to bill you the most accurately (a toss up) and who has the best customer service should you need to use it (Verizon by all industry accounts).

Quick Reply: Mobile question - which cell service provides the best reception ?