Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Is an SLR digital camera that much better?

Old 05-17-2003, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm stuck between 2 cameras. Either the Sony DCS-F717 or DSC-V1 are the two cameras that i am looking into. Do you think the SLR camera is that much better? It's also hard to say because the DSC-V1 isn't out yet, but I'm just speculating at the moment. I'd appreciate any feedback if possible.

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2003, 12:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you know what SLR means and what it is all about?
Old 05-17-2003, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes slr is better....

i thought they both were slr though....
Old 05-17-2003, 01:09 PM

i thought they both were slr though....
Holman...neither one of those cameras you listed are SLR now that I think about it. A digital SLR camera runs about $2,000. The fact that you didn't know these were SLR only leads me to believe that you don't really need one for your applications.

An SLR isn't necessarilly better unless you are going to get the use out of it that most professional photographers would. If you use your camera for more than just point and shoot and/or personal use then yes you could benefit from having an SLR. Otherwise you are wasting money that could have been spent on accessories for the other camera.

Are you an amateur/professional photographer?
Old 05-17-2003, 01:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda606
[B]

Holman...neither one of those cameras you listed are SLR now that I think about it.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:41 PM

Holman,

I would recommend you start with a very decent digital camera for now, use it for a few months to a year, and then if you are still interested in the hobby invest the money needed to get a top of the line SLR.

I have a Fuji S602 Zoom right now and love it. It does everything I need it to do and more. I will be adding a Canon SLR to my collection in the future, but for right now I don't need the extra capabilities. There is a benefit to having two cameras though. The SLR is going to be a heavy duty camera. It will probably not be one that you will want to carry around on a daily basis to use as a point and shoot. If I were you I would look into the Fuji model I mentioned along with the Canon G2 and G3 Powershot. The Sony F717 you mentioned is also an awesome camera. IMO you really can't go wrong with either of these four cameras and they will keep you happy for a long time or at least until you are ready to dive in to the SLR.

Good luck with your decision. Digital photography is great.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:58 PM

why arent they slr...the viewfinder looks through the lens, from what it looks like.

I, however, know next to nothing about digis so yea hah

manual mechanical all the way baby
Old 05-17-2003, 03:59 PM
Former Moderator

A good digital SLR body runs about 2K and can go way up to around 6K, without the lenses, depending on how fast of lenses you want the price varies from lense to lense. An SLR will allow you to interchange lenses, with an analogue camera of the same brand usually. Unless you are a serious hobbiest or professional photographer most point and shoot digitals will do fine.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/FrameWork.class
Old 05-17-2003, 04:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

canon has a nice one that runs about 1000-2000 dollars without lenses.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:21 PM

my friend has the first sony you mentioned. it takes great pictures, but there is a time delay when taking pictures, as in the view finder goes black. that really drove me nuts. the bottom of the line canon 10d(i have one) is an amazing camera. its 1500, but you get nothing with it. lenses are seperate and pricey for amateurs. id probably recommend an olympus if you were going to take some major photos. if not, go to best buy/circuit city and pick out the camera you like best. the hop online and find the best price for it.

if you want an older slr, i have a olympus c-2500L for sale. works great and comes with the zoom lens. you can research it online and i only want $300 shipped for it.

-brian

Quick Reply: Is an SLR digital camera that much better?