Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

UNBELIVABLE: my story at the BORDERS going to HIN.

Old 06-29-2003, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is absurd!!! Sue them for the mental abuse and for your precious time. These ppl. have no common sense. My sincere regards.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunate and excessive. As a Canadian citizen, it may be tougher to find recourse.

I do hope that you pursue some action against these people. While more involved border searches are part of our current existence, they still must be conducted reasonably, with cause and with respect to those being searched. And if they disassemble your car, they should be responsible for any damages as well as the cost to reassemble.

UL
Old 06-29-2003, 03:18 PM

So sorry for what happened to you. I remember once years ago when I was traveling to Toronto, the Canadian border officers were as pleasant as could be ("welcome to Canada, enjoy your stay" and all that) but when I returned to the US from Canada, the US customs guy was a total dick, he was the caricature of the American with a gun on his hip, George W. would have been proud. And all this was years before 9/11 and all the paranoia that now grips the USA.

I'm heartened to hear that the Patriot Act has been overturned in something like 212 US communities and cities now, by those who realize that it goes to far and takes away the freedoms this country was built on.

These are crappy times we live in. We are attacked by people we don't understand, and in response we attack someone else who wasn't even remotely connected to 9/11. But the vast American electorate is uneducated and only wants to take revenge, regardless of who it's on.

Good luck with your plight, may you triumph in the end.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:21 PM

In the name of protecting freedom, we have become what we oppose.

There is no excuse for the way you were treated. As an American, I apologize. Thank you for posting it.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:21 PM

thank you everybody for you support and i will keep you posted on what is going on. For the moment it is all in the hands of my dad lawyer and he is lookign into it. If somebody can do something it is him. I'm meeting with the canadien RCMP tomorow because they are the only people who can actually do something to us customs. I said i was not mad because they search my car, but more of the power trip they had. I was clear and obvious what i was doing there and why, the fact thay put my car in pieces was pur jelousy and hypocrisi. I will not let this go true like this and I will push it to the max. I know custom have to do there job, especially since 9/11, but wait a sec i am a human being and i have rights also. The only reason why i didnt freak out is because i was scared that they would seize my car, and then try getting your car back in the US from Canada.....

People thanks for your support and i will defently come back... but for does of you who know me, this fight aint over with the lady customs....

As for seung, your fenders should be ready by the end of the week.. I should ship them by thursday or friday if everything goes well....
Old 06-29-2003, 04:54 PM

I know we're not supposed to discuss politics, etc....but all of this really makes me sad to be an american. It's almost a mark of shame for me now, and I definitely am seriously considering moving to europe to get away from this damned conservatism. Human beings are Human beings, regardless of hair, skin, or eye color, accent or culture, religion or orientation, etc. etc. but today's american government is so right winged that the whole world is coming to hate us....even our allies. Compassionate conservatives my ass.

Obviously my voice is only one, but I speak for many millions of americans who are sorry that this conduct occurs, and apologize for what you had to go through. Hopefully you will not take this to mean that all americans are bad people, because we are not. Like any culture, there are some which give the rest a bad reputation. again, I'd just like to say that I'm sorry and I commend you for vowing not to let this go. stick it to them!

Screw homeland security, I'd rather not hear about crap like this than "minimize the terrorist threat" and give up my and other human being's civil liberties and dignity. If the Israelis can't stop it, there's no way the CIA can do it, so why bother trying so hard?

Quick2K
Old 06-29-2003, 05:18 PM

Dude,

Sorry to hear your story. Lke seung I have had my share of encounters with US customs. The worst one was when I was traveling with my wife and my brother to visit my parents in South America.

On the way back we had a nice little interview with two agents for three hours while our bags were taken apart (literaly - the locks did not work anymore after that). They even took our shoes and jackets from us.

They let us go with a cold "You may go now" to which we replied in unison "Thank you Sir. Have a good day". You see... we do the same trip every two years... no need to make them remember you next time.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:26 PM

S2Kwhite

I too am very sorry for your ordeal. Things are going to get worse before they get better with our Northern Boarder.. The big news between the States and Canada right now is the fact that Canada has recently reduced the sentencing on marijuana possession. The people in Washington are outraged by Canada
Old 06-29-2003, 07:21 PM

Just to play devils advocate for a second....

You didn't do anything to have the customs agents suspect you did you? You didn't pop off at the mouth to anyone did you? How did you dress? I always find that if I'm in a full suit customs is less of an issue, but then again I'm a white boy.

PS If you are not a Canadian citizen, become one, quick!. Trying to get into the US w/ an Iranian passport now is just insane! Bush is already making the push to invade them next. Why do you think we took Iraq? So we could pinch Iran if they start to bulid the bomb!
Old 06-29-2003, 08:13 PM

Sorry,

Having lived at two borders (Detroit, MI/Canada and Laredo, TX/MEXICO) and having made many crossings, I can tell you that you have little recourse.

This sucks, but it's been going on for years. The whole "take your car apart and look for drugs" isn't new and is not part of the new 9/11 searches. Bombs yes...Drugs NO....

US Customs will also search your car for drugs, if they have been tipped off to YOUR CAR or a car that is similiar. Not a funny joke, but happens.

US Customs usually does not go to this extreme (car apart) unless the dogs tip them off or you are combative with them. The drug dogs "very rarely", as in never, miss drugs. The S2000 is not a car that you would haul drugs in, it's "TOO SMALL A HAUL" for the risk and attracts way too much attention.

Again...Sorry....

Quick Reply: UNBELIVABLE: my story at the BORDERS going to HIN.