Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

New AP1 S2000 Owner in Dayton, OH

Old 03-20-2016, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New AP1 S2000 Owner in Dayton, OH

Guys,

I am a new S2000 owner: 02' NFR S2000, and I thought I'd introduce myself and possibly network with some S2000 owners in the area. I live in Beavercreek, and work at the base. It took me about three months to find a low mileage AP1 (My car has about 20K miles).

Once I get the car washed, I'll post some (more) photos.

Cheers!

Tariq
Attached Thumbnails New AP1 S2000 Owner in Dayton, OH-s2000_2.jpg  
Old 03-20-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome, Tariq! I'm just south of you in Springboro and I have a MY08 Laguna Blue S2000. I work next door to you at Wright State so hopefully I'll see you around.

-Todd
Old 03-20-2016, 07:23 PM

Thanks Todd! Yes, I hope to see you around in your awesome blue car.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:59 AM

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Verrrry nice! Looks uber-clean! (The photo was with the car dirty?)

There's a very nice maintenance section (here) and unless you know all the fluids are fresh the consensus here seems to be "change 'em all." An hour under the card at most. Brakes and engine coolant are changed on a time basis (not mileage) and yours is due for both if they've not been done in the past year.

Another member in Columbus is selling a set of AP2 wheels for a reasonable price which are a handling upgrade for an AP1 as they allow bigger tires front and back and don't require diddling the car or wheel wells. A buddy put a set on his '02 last summer. Simple bolt on. Put a set of extreme performance summer tires on these wheels and you're good to go. Keep your stock 16" wheels and tires for colder weather like now. (Still too cold here in Cleveland the put my car on the road for this season.)

Resist the urge to "customize" the car for as long as you can. Note the Civics in the local high school parking lot and on base for what NOT to do. Learn to drive it. Read the handling threads as you can easily spin the car being agressive. Just takes some practice (and a large parking lot!) to learn the basics. I've been intending to take the one-day performance driving course at Mid Ohio. Hopefully this spring.

-- Chuck
Old 03-21-2016, 04:24 AM

Received 285 Likes on 220 Posts

Welcome Tariq. There a few S2000 owners in the Valley. I'm just east of you in Wilberforce and also work on Base. Including you, there are at least 4 S2000s on Base, mostly on the flight line side of the Base.

I have a 2005 Berlina Black, that turned 35,000 yesterday on the Leprechaun Run in Cincinnati. That was a blast! I play mostly with the S2000 Cincinnati group (Facebook) and the S2KCA OKI group (S2KCA.com), as well as here.

The forums on here are fantastic. It took nearly 2 years of research to find my Berlina in Atlanta. I've put 12K on it since I drove it home in July.

Check out the Events page. There is a Tech Day in April, both in Columbus and Cincinnati. It's a great way to get your S2000 service done and meet a bunch of fellow owners.

Cheers
Jamie, aha JoePhotographer
Old 03-21-2016, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Verrrry nice! Looks uber-clean! (The photo was with the car dirty?)

There's a very nice maintenance section (here) and unless you know all the fluids are fresh the consensus here seems to be "change 'em all." An hour under the card at most. Brakes and engine coolant are changed on a time basis (not mileage) and yours is due for both if they've not been done in the past year.

Another member in Columbus is selling a set of AP2 wheels for a reasonable price which are a handling upgrade for an AP1 as they allow bigger tires front and back and don't require diddling the car or wheel wells. A buddy put a set on his '02 last summer. Simple bolt on. Put a set of extreme performance summer tires on these wheels and you're good to go. Keep your stock 16" wheels and tires for colder weather like now. (Still too cold here in Cleveland the put my car on the road for this season.)

Resist the urge to "customize" the car for as long as you can. Note the Civics in the local high school parking lot and on base for what NOT to do. Learn to drive it. Read the handling threads as you can easily spin the car being agressive. Just takes some practice (and a large parking lot!) to learn the basics. I've been intending to take the one-day performance driving course at Mid Ohio. Hopefully this spring.

-- Chuck
Thanks Chuck. I drove the car on a very windy day from Detroit to Dayton, so it's nowhere nearly as clean as it looks in that photo.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions; I'll get the fluids changed and make sure everything is in optimal condition. I'll also look into getting the AP2 wheels; I'll be doing a couple of track weekends at the Putnam Park Road Course in Indy in the coming months, and as you said, they'll be a nice upgrade.

Other than maybe putting the OEM or OEM type trunk spoiler (the car didn't come with one), I don't plan to customize the car's appearance at all. I think these cars look beautiful in stock condition

I did a performance school earlier this year, and I have to say doing one is a great experience. You'll totally love it!
Old 03-21-2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by joephotographer
Welcome Tariq. There a few S2000 owners in the Valley. I'm just east of you in Wilberforce and also work on Base. Including you, there are at least 4 S2000s on Base, mostly on the flight line side of the Base.

I have a 2005 Berlina Black, that turned 35,000 yesterday on the Leprechaun Run in Cincinnati. That was a blast! I play mostly with the S2000 Cincinnati group (Facebook) and the S2KCA OKI group (S2KCA.com), as well as here.

The forums on here are fantastic. It took nearly 2 years of research to find my Berlina in Atlanta. I've put 12K on it since I drove it home in July.

Check out the Events page. There is a Tech Day in April, both in Columbus and Cincinnati. It's a great way to get your S2000 service done and meet a bunch of fellow owners.

Cheers
Jamie, aha JoePhotographer
Thank you Jamie, and great to know that you work at the Base too.

You have a great car! It took me a while to find mine too, though I have only been looking for about three months, which means that I got lucky.

I will check out the events page, thank you.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:54 AM

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Funny you should mention the trunk spoiler. I refuse to drill holes for one but this one is reputed to stay on with 3M industrial double sided tape:

Good color match. Just sitting there now, still too cold to affix it. Ebay. Under $90. I have the real OEM chin spoiler to fit after I get all the stone chips removed from the front bumper.

17" OEM wheels and Bridgestone RE-71R tires is all ya need for now. You can tweak further is you get serious about autocross, etc.

-- Chuck
Old 03-21-2016, 04:12 PM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome, your S2K looks nice!
Old 03-21-2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Funny you should mention the trunk spoiler. I refuse to drill holes for one but this one is reputed to stay on with 3M industrial double sided tape:

Good color match. Just sitting there now, still too cold to affix it. Ebay. Under $90. I have the real OEM chin spoiler to fit after I get all the stone chips removed from the front bumper.

17" OEM wheels and Bridgestone RE-71R tires is all ya need for now. You can tweak further is you get serious about autocross, etc.

-- Chuck
That is a nice looking car, and yes, I just ordered one off of ebay too, and I intend to put it on using the 3M tape. I'll post photos once it's done.

I am actually in the process of acquiring some 17" OEM wheels, and once I have those, I'll put on the 71Rs. I'll keep updating this thread with the evolution of my car

Quick Reply: New AP1 S2000 Owner in Dayton, OH