Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

New rear tires.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Need for an update on this thread....

Back from the dragon and happy with the mixed tires.
The tires did a remarkable job at the Dragon. Friday and Saturday morning the dragon was a bit wet and the tires handled themselves well in the rain.

Some might think they were noisy, but that is only because I was intentially allowing the tires to break traction at times to test the tires on corner entrance and exits to be better aware of them before any hard driving to follow later in the day...No intentional big angle exhibition style drifting on purpose of anything like that. I know better than this. The dragon is not the place to be drifting Sorry if I scared anyone...

I know it's not a place to practice any drifting, which I didn't do any intentially, only some zero countersteer exits that kept me in my lane and got the tires chirping here and there when ever it was clear. Except that one incident where the motorcyles came the other way on the Skyway.

On the Skyway with Gary and Andy leading, the tires went through some aggressive driving. Thanks for the experience!

We were corning very aggressively on this right hand sweeper and bikers came around and surprised us. I turned in a bit sharper and in doing so, I felt the rear tires giving the signal that it was going to break. The centripical force was a smooth transition, but the tires could do no more so I had to do it... just this one time...I had to drift the corner to avoid the rear end coming around on me. From my experience I was able to smoothly control the car and keep it in my lane and not cross over while the rear tires started sliding due to the hard corning.

Not something I wanted to do, but it was the best way of controlling it in that situation since the tires had to go. Didn't panic, didn't lift or jab the brake. Just added a little countersteer and continued to gas it through the curve.

Sorry for the scare guys! But I think in knowing and understanding the behavior of the tires before hand by testing and doing the things I did to prepare, I think it really helped out in this situation.

I enjoy the predictability of the tire set up.

When the rear is ready to give and begin oversteering, the tires sidewalls give a bit and indicate it and it helps having this warning. In my opinion, better than soft summer tires that are either ON or OFF.

In conclusion, I think I will continue to equip all season tires just because it better suites my driving style and provides longer threadwear.

BTW...Dave do you have this on video? I want to know how it looked from your Point of view. I would love to borrow the DVR tape if you don't mind so I can include some of our driving into my project video for WTD. Remember my camcorder failed on me Saturday so I had no footage from the dragon or skyway.