Orlando The I-4 Parking Lot

Oil Capacity

Old 03-02-2009, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Capacity

I'm an old gear head and have tinkered with cars for about as long as I can remember... simple question... how much oil would an 08 s2k take with an oil and OEM filter change? I've read the manual, spent some time on the "Oil Journals" and searched several posts on the topic... fact is, you can pick a number between 5.1 (per manual) or go all the way up to 5.5... you would think the manual would be correct but then.... the obvious answer is throw in 5.1 quarts, go suck down a couple of Dead Guy Ales and go back and check it... you all seem to know your stuff and have kept me on the straight and level during my first year of s2k bliss... going to get around to changing the oil this week... hoping someone out there will be willing to edakate me in this issue... maybe I need to ride up to Casselberry this week and chomp down on some wing and meet some of you fine folks. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer on what is no doubt a reocurring and redundant question...
Old 03-02-2009, 03:17 AM

Received 1,115 Likes on 993 Posts

What oil (and oil filter) do you plan on using?
The S2000 does take a little over 5quarts.

How many miles do you have on yours?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:06 AM

I was good with 5 QT even...
Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 AM

I think mine takes 5.0879223 qts??
Old 03-02-2009, 05:52 AM

Appreciate your help! I'm using an OEM filter and Castrol 10-30 for the first change and then will most likely switch to AMSOIL 10-30 when I hit around six or seven thousand miles... Think I only have about 3200 on it now but it's been in there for since I bought the thing in July... I was buying into the whole "OEM break in" deal but, oil is oil and I just can't stop squirming over the fact that I have had dino oil in my car for over six months and over 3k miles... will fix that in a day or two! Always appreciate what you guys have to offer on these forums... especially the Orlando crew. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:56 AM

Received 1,115 Likes on 993 Posts

Stick with the AMSOIL, and you might as well go ahead and change the trans, diff, brake & clutch fluids as well.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm from the 'fill it until it is full' school of thought. Because, the differences in some folks suggestions (about how much) could be that they had a bottle of oil that had a little less than the other 4. It is easy to trust that a 'quart' of oil has exactly a quart. I can assure you that isn't always the case.

Also ... many dealerships are using a single large tank of oil that is regulated by a computer. I know for a fact that the system has simple 'hick-ups' that can throw the amount of fluid off by a full quart. So, i always fill until the dipstick says full and then continue to check it
Old 03-02-2009, 09:23 AM

i run Royal Purple 10W-30 in mine and i noticed a difference in drivability from daily driving to stronger turnovers into VTEC and while racing it at the monthly autox's. i plan on sticking with my Royal Purple, well worth the little extra you'll have to pay for it IMO.

on another note: be careful when changing the tranny fluid. i heard that using Royal Purple for a tranny service is a VERY bad idea. not sure on the specifics of why it's no good i just heard it's not advisable. just a heads up. i'd stick with Honda tranny fluid unless anyone knows of a better choice.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5.2 usually does it for me . Be sure to check your oil frequent like every 300 miles or so depending on how hard you drive .
Old 03-03-2009, 04:51 AM

I've always been curious about Royal Purple oil... always heard it's great stuff... way back when I was a pretty serious into kart racing during my formative years in California... the oil of choice back then was a fully synthetic concoction called Steens... (Steens was where everyone went to buy their Kart stuff)... Steens oil again, fully sythetic and purple... Steens has disappeared off of the face of the earth but I've always wondered if their lubes evolved into Royal Purple... totally off topic and really of no interest to anyone but I've always wondered that.

Appreciate what you fine folks have to share... I've learned a great deal on these forums, especially how to be paranoid about my seats!

Quick Reply: Oil Capacity