Orlando The I-4 Parking Lot

Thinking of moving to Orlando/Cocoa Beach

Old 08-16-2010, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JessCJames,Aug 16 2010, 12:44 PM
how is the Melbourne area? There is a company here in Huntsville called DRS Technologies that is based out of Melbourne... My neighbor works PR there and is going to try to hook me up with a job so that I could get transferred... and got some advice about UCF, I was told the nickname is now " U Cant Finish" because there are so many students , so now its looking more like FIT would be a better choice. I have been thinking a lot about all of this lately
I got my undergrad from UCF in December and am currently working on my MBA. I managed to get my undergrad in 3.5 years, with no real stresses over getting into classes.
Its like anything in life, do some planning and research ahead of time, and on the day registration opens, register for the class. Its the people that put off registering until the week before classes start that run into a problem. Then they complain to everyone about how there are never any classes available. Well duh...

What program are you looking into at UCF? We have some 5 or 6 grad/undergrad in my family from UCF (nursing, engineering, accounting, journalism). I think its a great school, and its getting to be better and better as time goes on.

Unfortunately there can be some problems registering for classes ocasionally, but like I said, I've never run into the problem before.

Also, Melbourne is pretty cool. I grew up there (spent 20 years there year round) but I live in orlando now . I'm looking to go back at some point if my carrer allows.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow thanks for the insight! Its better to hear from someone who actually has experience from there, instead of "I heard". And your right, its just like any other college, you always have to stay on top of things because you are nothing but a number there... I'm hoping to leave here with an associates degree and some CAD experience. I'm a Mech. Eng major right now, but I'm switching over to project management or accounting. This is such a hard decision because I will be going down there with hardly anything... hoping to find some friends that will go in together on a house. I'm definatly going to try everything I can to keep from having to sell the S just to afford a place to live
Old 08-23-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by JessCJames,Aug 16 2010, 12:44 PM
UCF, I was told the nickname is now " U Cant Finish" because there are so many students , so now its looking more like FIT would be a better choice. I have been thinking a lot about all of this lately
I started at FIT and transferred to UCF, both are good schools, just depends on what you want to do and where you want to end up.

FIT will teach you more and provide great opportunities working out of state at large corporations like Microsoft, etc

UCF does not have the quality of professors, but obviously if you are willing to learn you will not miss out on any knowledge. One huge advantage UCF has is Research Park, a neighborhood of tech companies and military contractors right next to UCF that offer many internships and first time jobs

FIT does not offer a lot of entertainment or parties, it is very focused on education and has a large percentage of international students. But you could always hang out with the Melbourne S2000 folks.

UCF is all about fun, entertainment, with education there to make sure you get a good job

I have family and friends that graduated from FIT and all got good jobs, but all now work out of state

All of my friends that graduated from UCF still have good jobs, but all in the Orlando area

If you want to stay in Florida go to UCF, get an internship ASAP (even if you are working somewhere else full-time), keep your grades up, and have fun

If you prefer moving up north somewhere FIT will make sure you get a great job at a large corporation. BUT expect the degree to take longer than UCF.

UCF should also be much cheaper and most employers around here don't care which school you go to.

Garage is a must! Expect your top to be cut if you leave it out for a few nights

Black Ops......can be very nice people, never let them touch your car, much better off going to a larger shop in Orlando or Tampa
Old 08-24-2010, 11:20 AM

i had 96 hours at UCF and ran into a problem getting classes at night or online. i work fulltime in my career of choice, just trying to own up to a promise i made to my father and graduate. the advisor told me, and i'm not making this up, "sounds like you need to find another school". so i did just that, received my AA and enrolled at USF in a fully online BSIT program, even better than the program i was in at UCF. just my 2cents. it's a great school if you don't have to work for a living. for all us commoners you really can't finish.