Ottawa S2000 Owners Ottawa Canada and area

Dyno done, with I/H/E

Old 08-30-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno done, with I/H/E

So, I got a dyno done to see if the simple bolt on mods really worked. And not everything is lollipops and flowers, but not disasterous. Tapp Auto upgraded their dyno software, which gives better graphs, but he lost my baseline data so I have to eyeball the differences from the print offs. Anyways here are the numbers:

- all numbers are SAE corrected
- this is a Mustang Dyno, so it typically reads around 10hp less than a Dynojet

Stock:
- 191 WHP @ 8500 rpm
- 123 ft-lb WTQ @ 7750 rpm

With Toda header:
- 198 WHP @ 8500 rpm
- 128 ft-lb WTQ @7500 rpm
- most gain in the midrange from 5000-7000 rpm

With J's intake, Toda header, J's 60rs exhaust
- 192 WHP @ 8200 rpm
- 130 ft-lb WTQ @ 6400 rpm
- peak of +15 ft-lb @ 3500 rpm, probably from the intake
- there is a strange torque drop off from 7500 rpm to redline, maybe ECU is pulling timing
- VTEC crossover is sharper, might be different smoothing on new s/w

I think my but dyno is actually pretty accurate. Predicted the Toda's midrange and did notice quicker low rpm pick up from the intake. Now it did feel faster with the single exhaust, but the dyno doesn't show it. Guessing this is due to the 40lb weight reduction. The car also felt faster at speed, which should be due to the ram air effect from the snorkel, which doesn't show on the dyno.

The bad is the wierd drop off at high rpm when a single exhaust should be paying off. It could be due to the ECU pulling timing from knocking, but it wasn't monitored and wasn't obvious during the pull. There was a post about a similar setup running lean at high rpm. It could be that the ECU hasn't adapted to the exhaust, since it has only been 1 tank since install. It could be that ECU hasn't adapted when I switched to Ultra94 from Shell91 last fill up. The last two reasons shouldn't matter though at WOT since the ECU is open loop.

Using ricer math I should be 210-215 WHP (+20 to +25) with these mods. Definitely think that some engine management tuning is required to make use of the bolt ons and fix whatever is happening at high rpm. So quite a few $$$ to go for some gains.

So a certain other person that is slapping stuff on their car, trying to go faster, with a single exhaust might have something to consider....James If it is a lean condition at high rpm it might not effect the MY00, 01 since they run richer. It shouldn't matter too much in autocross since we really don't bump of the rev-limiter anyways.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car WILL be faster

I should head to the dyno, maybe early next year.

What impresses me is the 5ft-lb of TQ and 7 Hp gained by the Toda, Mine is arriving today and my gasket is at Ottawa Honda ready for pickup, I'll have to get that Friday.

Could the new software have messed up your baselines as well? IE: even though you lost a little with the new additions it is possible it's just the dyno as we know they aren't that acurate.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:53 AM

Its too bad the Honda ECU's are so "untouchable".

The subaru ones are absolutely outastanding in terms of dataloging, flashing maps etc.

I've downloaded a logging program that uses my OBD diag cab;e from my Cobb Accessport, to my laptop, and logs EVERTHING - Throttle position, boost, AFR, timing, injector duty cycles, wastegate duty cycles, intake temp etc...

Simply amazing stuff. By the way, I'm running Cobb Stage 2 now that i've installed that downpipe. Haven't dyno'd it yet (does TAPP have a AWD dyno??).

But Cobb claims +45flyHP and +85fly ft-lbs
Old 08-31-2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 03_AP1,Aug 31 2006, 05:53 AM
(does TAPP have a AWD dyno??).

Tapp Auto does not have an AWD Dyno, KVR Performance does though.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:06 PM

The runs stock and with the Toda header were done last year and all I have is the print offs. When he upgraded the s/w those baselines were lost. Talking to Chris he said that the dyno at these "low" power runs was pretty consistent. After looking at the graphs, I think the results are valid. The midrange of the new lines up with the old and the high rpm hp/tq curve doesn't look right. Its a little bumpy like something is getting confused rather than it just running out of breath.

The Toda is actually better than the peak numbers suggest. It's around 10 ft-lb gain from 5500-6500 rpm.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by 03_AP1,Aug 31 2006, 09:53 AM
It pretty easy to turn up the boost. Is the stage 2 still have good drivablity without lag? You never had overheating problems did you?

I think the KVR has a 4wd dyno. They're pretty rare, and I don't know how all that works when you have variable torque spliting front to back. Tapp has to disconnect the driveshaft to dyno 4wd cars.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:18 AM

Stage 2 actually brings the boost in earlier by raising the wastegate duty cycle. Less lag.

Drivability is also improved. The boost in stock form is very "peaky", whereas the new Cobb maps bring the boost on earlier, and more progressive. I've never had any overheating problems. Because the intercooler is top mounted, there's no restricted airflow to the radiator. Cooling in this car is very effective.

As far as AWD dynos go, I'm not sure how the guys do it. The STi does have the option of locking the centre diff, so maybe that's how. But normal WRX's don't have that option, so the dyno must be able to cope with variable torque dist.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:15 AM

Chargers, you guys all need chargers.

James, you like 7hp from a header? TRY 100 more HP!

15 times the gain of a header for 4 times the price.

What's wrong with you guys?
Old 09-01-2006, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo is where it is at, I have seen the light I need tq not hp.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:28 PM

Call me crazy, but when I screw around with my car, the goal is to enhance what the car is, not to bastardize it. If I do loose my mind, the power is coming from a built 2.3L, 9000rpm NA motor.

You need hp. It's just midrange hp not peak. It's all the same anyways, torque = hp / rpm. And yes turbo is the way to properly bastardize the car.

Quick Reply: Dyno done, with I/H/E