Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

30,000 Mile Service And Price Questions

Old 07-15-2004, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30,000 Mile Service And Price Questions

I just called Honda of Bellevue to get prices for service and here is what I was quoted:
$429 - 30,000 mile service
$148 - front brake pads (parts & labor)
$178 - rear brake pads (parts & labor)
$62 - oil change (Mobil-1 synthetic)

These prices seem a bit excessive to me. Does anyone have any better suggestions for service? I have asked before, but I can't seem to find the thread anymore. Has anyone else had the complete 30,000 mile service at a dealer?
Old 07-15-2004, 02:32 PM

Geez that's expensive. You could buy a nice manual and some tools for that much $$$. I just F/R brake pads for $78 and Mobil 1 oil change for $32. All that's left for 30k service is diff and tranny, right? Bleeding brakes is kind of a pain, but after i just did them myself along with the clutch, I found out the dealer never even did it last time I asked them, and paid them! No more dealers/mechanics for anything anymore, if I can help it.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those prices seem dealer-typical to me. Each set of brake pads will be about $70 for parts, IIRC. I suggest you do them yourself, if at all possible.

Oil change will be 6x whatever price you get synthetic at, plus about $15 for the filter. My suggestion is to just buy the filter from the dealer and do this yourself as well.

30K service should include oil change.

I did the 30K service myself at home, but it took several days (car was out of action for a week or so). Some of it is easy, some of it is more tricky. Probably cost me $200 in parts and tools.

Guess it all depends on whether you want to work on your car or not.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by standard63,Jul 15 2004, 03:32 PM
All that's left for 30k service is diff and tranny, right?
Bleed brakes, bleed clutch, replace air filter, replace HVAC filter, and generally inspect car. It's all listed in the Helms manual.

Of course, who knows for sure if the dealer is actually doing all that stuff?
Old 07-15-2004, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jul 15 2004, 03:41 PM
Those prices seem dealer-typical to me. Each set of brake pads will be about $70 for parts, IIRC. I suggest you do them yourself, if at all possible.

Guess it all depends on whether you want to work on your car or not.
The prices seemed typical, which typically equates to excessive in dealer lingo.

I would like to do my own work, but having no prior experience or other means of transport, it seems a bit risky to jump right in. Now, if someone wants to help show me the ropes, I would be most appreciative

I had such a great place in Birmingham . I paid $37.50 for oil changes with Mobil-1, including the oil (although I did supply the filter @ $6 from H&A), $60/pair tire change & balance, and $70 alignment. I don't guess I'll find that here.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:20 PM

If you can one end of the car up and take the wheels off, you can change the brakes yourself easily. People do it in the pits at the track, for instance.

Changing the oil and filter is even easier.

But some of the things required for the 30K service are definitely easier to do if you can put the car up on jackstands for a few days. I wouldn't advise doing it if you don't have access to a garage and a second car in case you find partway through that you need another tool or something else you didn't think of.

I would be very surprised if you could find a professional shop which would do the full 30K service for less than $350.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you'll actually need pads at 30k miles. I didn't. You can buy your own Mobil 1 and take it with you to the dealer. That'll save you some cash.

- Michael
Old 07-15-2004, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You don't need to replace your brakes until they look like this:

Seriously, buy the helms manual and perform the work yourself.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't have a problem changing the fluids yourself as long as you can jack the car up. I used the tutorials/guides by xviper and others to do my rear diff and tranny fluids. Oil changes are really simple you should do it yourself Its really quick after I installed fumoto (sp?) drain valve.

I've been doing one thing each weekend. I don't have a helms manual yet. I'll probably pick one up once I need new brakes. I only have 17k miles on my car so far so it will probably be awhile unless I get hardcore autox.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by jerrypeterson,Jul 15 2004, 05:23 PM
Seriously, buy the helms manual and perform the work yourself.
OK... Since I currently own nothing more than a few screwdrivers and a couple of pairs of pliers, what tools will I need to do regular maintenance? Here's what I can think of:

1) Service manual
2) Floor jack
3) Jack stands (4)
4) Torque wrench (do these come in different varieties?)
5) Socket wrench set (Metric, I assume)
6) Combination wrench set (Metric also)

Am I missing something crucial? Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: 30,000 Mile Service And Price Questions