Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Roll Bar for the S2K... *PIX ARE UP!*

Old 06-05-2006, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Roll Bar for the S2K... *PIX ARE UP!*

First... Hey everybody. If you're tall, a track junkie, or just want to be safer in your car... read on.

I don't post much here, and didn't want to get too involved because I was only planning on keeping my S2000 for a short period of time. A few of you here know me, and know that I was racing gokarts. I've got a non karting neck injury that has 3 Dr's telling me I outta sell the kart and not get in one again. I've tracked the S2000 a few times, and like the balance of the car. So, I sold the kart and I'm just gonna play with the S2K.

I'm 6'3" tall and don't come even remotely close to passing the broomstick test in the car. Actually I'm 6'4" in the morning before my spine compresses. Sux gettin' old. For those of you who haven't tracked/raced, this is where they put a broomstick from the top of the windshield frame to the roll hoop. You're supposed to have 2 inches of clearance between the broomstick and your helmet. In my case, the broomstick goes right thru my forehead. Not so good if you roll the car.

As you guys know, rollbars aren't overly abundant for the S2000. Russ Nyberg of Racetech Fabrication in Portland Oregon built the cage in my race car, and did an awesome job. There have been attempts at rollbars in the S2000 that haven't been too successful. I sold the race car, and since I decided to track the S2000, I need a safe rollbar. So, Russ has spent hours studying and measuring the car. The goals were as follows:

1) Least amount of trimming of the interior parts.
2) Build it so that the car could be returned to stock in the future.
3) Keep the factory seat belts.
4) Incorporate a harness bar for race harnesses.
5) Maintain as much of the limited storage as possible.

We're going to remove the factory bars, and some interior pieces. After the install is complete, I'm going to have Guy's Interior Restoration make things look like Honda did this at the factory. But, I'll keep all the parts to return the car to stock. If someone wanted to retain all their factory plastic in the car, it could be done with some trimming. I'm going for a little different look. This will be a welded in roll bar, but will be reversable if the next owner decides to do so. I can't imagine that, but I want it as an option.

Well, we dig into the car tonight. I should have pix of this soon, so you can all see what we've done. For now, here are a few pix of Russ' handywork on the CRX. This will give you an idea of his work. He should have NO problem building an excellent roll bar for the S2000!

More pix here if you want to see. Look in the Completed and Roll cage sections.

*** Pix of the S2000 below ***
Old 06-05-2006, 11:29 AM

I've seen this CRX in person. It's too pretty and pristine to ever see a track! I'm sure it would be a great a competitor however. The number of bars in the rear of the cage are mind boggling. I don't think I've seen a sturdier cage....ever.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:57 AM

What's up?!? Did you get your CRX done?

Mine went to Atlanta in an enclosed transporter. Small world. The new owner is running it in ITA out there. Having a blast last time I heard.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:15 PM

CRX got put on the back burner awaiting funding but it just recently came out from under the cover. Now that I have the Engine back from the builder I have to start puting things together.

My problem.... Trying not to spend 10k accomplishing what I can with 3k.

That's the problem with racing, it's like drugs, "the schwag will do the trick but the good shit is called 'the good shit' for a reason!"
Old 06-06-2006, 12:15 PM

Cool Brad, I would like to see how the cage comes together on the S2000. I still have plans on building an S2000 based racecar in the future, and will inevitably be doing a cage as well. I am inclined to create on that emulates the one in our Vette.

Jim
Old 06-07-2006, 07:38 AM

Hey Jim!

It's coming along great. Keeping it simple in this car. Main hoop, down bars, harness bar, and maybe a couple low hidden gussets. One of the big goals was to keep as much of the storage area as possible. We did that. Didn't lose ANY storage. Plus, I'll be able to use the secret compartment too.

That won't be much concern on your race car. Needed this one to stay streetable. It's definitely a very challenging car to put a functional bar in. If you keep the spare tire in the factory location, the down bars have to be a little too close to vertical to please Russ. I'd rather have it safe if I need to use it. My interior guy will be able to make it all beautiful when it's done.

I'll give you a call soon so we can catch up. What's up with the Vette??? I didn't even know about that car. Street or ITE?

See ya,
Brad
Old 06-07-2006, 01:59 PM

Brad, I thought you saw it last year, but its the Grand Am GT car. It has been keeping me pretty busy.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:33 PM

Brad brought his car by this evening and I got a first look at what got done.

Short summary - me likee
Old 06-07-2006, 10:40 PM

Hey Jim,

Hadn't seen that. Presume you're "the shoe"? Nice. I'll bet that keeps your attention real well.

Alan, I'll try and get it painted up this weekend and swing it by so you can see the finished product. Gotta get on the list with Guy's Interior so I can get in there for the finish work. I'll try to post some pix tomorrow of the bar as it is now... raw, but finished. Beautification to come.

B
Old 06-07-2006, 10:53 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

ahhhhh, Jim lost his shoes .... he just humps legs in the pits now

Quick Reply: Roll Bar for the S2K... *PIX ARE UP!*