Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Buying my First DSLR and looking for advice Update 11/3

Old 10-29-2013, 06:31 PM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

Magma- Well thought out. At least you're taking the time to think about it vs. just jumping in.

Go hold them. You might find that there's something quirky in your hand that swings your vote or solidifies your decision.

The 18-55 and 55-200 aren't the greatest lenses, but will cover a pretty wide range of subjects and will suffice if you're learning. Remember, your eye is your best tool, not the camera or lens. On a DX body, the 18mm will really be 27mm. Not very wide, so you might find for close up car photography its not the right lens. Maybe one of the people that posts up car pics can tell you the lenses used or you can pull the exif data to check yourself.

Don't be tricked by the bundles. SD cards are dirt cheap, and always on sale. Do you need a Wi-Fi transmitter to send directly from your camera to ???? no idea what for now. the bundles look good because you pay a discount for stuff you don't need usually, or that you'd buy what you want (the bag you want for example). There's also some rebates this time of year that can help out a little.

Don't get tricked by megapixels. I've printed a 24x30 print from a 6 MP Nikon D70s. I've printed the same size from a 12 MP Nikon D300 without noticeable issues. More MP isn't necessary, but it does offer some flexibility when cropping.

As for ISO. A large range doesn't mean good quality at that range. I'd guess that's one of the technologies that starts in the Pro lines and works its way down to the Consumer models the next generation. I wouldn't be suprised to find that the noise handling at high ISO on the D3200 is possibly better than my D300, which at the time was about as good as the top of the line D3. The ability to move to ISO 400, 800, 1600 or even higher helps compensate for the slower F5.6 kit lenses speed. You can find all kinds of charts and graphs - take a look, but look with a skeptical eye - will you ever crop a picture to 10% of the original and blow it up to wall size? Probably not, so why should you care what the test of that shows?

The technology does change, but as mentioned, doesn't mean you need it. I'm still using a 6 year old D300, and its fine. I don't have a need for video, and the 7-9 fps is great for the sport shooting I like to do. I'm actually considering a new D300s when I have a need to replace it (since a direct successor isn't announced yet). I've got about 75,000 actuations on it currently.

Don't downplay the Sony and Pentax stuff. I think one of them uses another brand's lens mount, so there are all kinds of options, and you don't pay the Nikon/Canon premium. Sure, later on, you might not find the top of the line lenses in the off brands, but we're talking the $1000, $2000 or more lenses here, which is doesn't sound like you're looking for at the moment.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:28 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I bought a Canon Rebel xsi as my first DSLR, and four years later I'm still learning and happy with it. I've gotten some helpful hints from a few people including Gary, who posted some good advice, above. I used the 18-55 lens for a long while. Borrowed a 75-300 when I wanted to take bird pics in the yard, eventually I bought an 18-200 which is on the camera just about all the time. Works for me. I also have a macro that I use in the yard, flowers, etc. Still plenty to learn on that lens too.

I'm glad I went with one of the simpler models. In addition to the added expense, I find the more advanced models bulky, and heavier than I want to carry around when walking in the woods or sightseeing. Maybe that isn't a concern of yours.

Someone once told me photography is 80% composition. I think that's true. You can have a great camera, but if you have a bunch of distracting stuff in the pic, you still have a lousy pic.

If your local photo store offers a class on using the DSLR take it. I learned a lot in just a few weeks, and it was a fun class.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever considered refurbished? One my friends dad works for Canon and I order everything refurbished, lenses, bodies, accessories. Haven't had any issues and you save good money. You pretty much get everything that came with the original minus the fancy box, you get a white canon box instead. Keep an eye on slickdeals.net they usually have some bundles as well.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/1049...50mm-f1.4-lens

I think even with entry level SLR cameras you can go a long way before needing to upgrade. yes it makes sense to spend the extra money on something good the first time but it depends on how serious you are going to get the photography bug. Most people wont outgrow the features/abilities of their first camera.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidtek
Ever considered refurbished? One my friends dad works for Canon and I order everything refurbished, lenses, bodies, accessories. Haven't had any issues and you save good money. You pretty much get everything that came with the original minus the fancy box, you get a white canon box instead. Keep an eye on slickdeals.net they usually have some bundles as well.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/1049...50mm-f1.4-lens

I think even with entry level SLR cameras you can go a long way before needing to upgrade. yes it makes sense to spend the extra money on something good the first time but it depends on how serious you are going to get the photography bug. Most people wont outgrow the features/abilities of their first camera.

Hmm just checked this out and there is the T3i for $319 after the discount. I would need a lens which would put me at the $500 though. Ugh. I am going to a camera shop on my lunch so I can try and rule some of this stuff out.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Site Moderator

I finally have an update as I was able to go to best buy and there also happened to be a camera expo this weekend near me where I could play with everything and see different lenses and cameras. The expo was the most helpful as I could walk to each table and compare each camera and every vendor had all of the models so I could mess around with the crazy expensive ones and the cheap ones to really get a feel for what I was paying for. Basically what I learned was for some reason I did not care for the canon's at all. They just didn't feel right. I did like Nikon and my favorite that was sort of in the price range was the 5200. They had a good deal on the 5100 with lenses as well. Finally there was the Sony's. No everyone had told me to stick with Canon or Nikon but I wanted to at least look at them and since best buy didn't have them I was happy they were at the convention. I got to play with their line of alpha cameras and ended up really liking the A65. It is on par with the 5200 in price but it is faster and higher megapixels and I actually liked the digital viewfinder. I was very close to buying either the 5200 or the A65 but they didn't take Amex and I felt I was rushing into it because I was at a limited time event. Also with the holidays I figured I should wait.

Then I got home and combed through Amazon adorama for hours. Now that I knew the few models I ultimately wanted I figured I may try and find a good deal. Ultimately through Amazon's warehouse deals I purchased a Sony A65 for $551 and a Tamron 28-200mm lens for $125. Grand total after tax was right under $740. With this I have a good deal but I also know if I find something better in the weeks to come I can always return it thanks to Amazon's return policy. I should have it on weds. We are very excited and thanks for everyone's help. Now to do a lot more reading on how to actually use this thing to its potential!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 AM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

Congrats - Enjoy and go shoot!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:13 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Have fun. Did you buy an extra battery? Always good to have a spare on hand.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Site Moderator

Not yet. I think I will be asking family for little accessories like an extra battery, bag etc for Christmas.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Site Moderator

Got my Camera!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy, be sure to post pictures in the monthly threads

Quick Reply: Buying my First DSLR and looking for advice Update 11/3