Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Calibrate Monitor & Printer

Old 08-23-2009, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Calibrate Monitor & Printer

How do I calibrate my monitor to match my printer output? Just printed a pic that I adjusted in LR, but it came out too dark. I think my monitor's setting is too bright and is not accurately reflecting the way I wanted my pictures to look. Any suggestions?
Old 08-23-2009, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spyder 3 (I use the Spyder 2 and it does the job) or Pantone Huey (haven't tried that one yet) are a couple of low-end choices. Those are used to calibrate your monitor.

Then you might still need a custom profile for your printer. If you use factory OEM paper, inks, and print driver you should get close just by calibrating the monitor. To get that last improvement, if needed, I recommend Cathy's Profiles as an inexpensive way to get one or two papers calibrated on your printer.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, thats a loaded question. One for which there is not one perfect answer. As mentioned above the first step is to calibrate your monitor, that you will have to get your icc profile for the printer matched up to it. No easy task. Than you have the paper equation each paper has it own profile.

The biggest issue is the printer each manufacturer takes a different approach to setting up how there printers respond to icc profiles.

What printer and camera are you using, we can help you better with that information.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:26 PM

My camera: Nikon D5000 Brand new!
My printer: HP DeskJet 812C 15 years old!

Thing is, I have never printed any pictures before. Well, maybe a few here and there; not often. I did not experience the amount of difference between what I saw on screen vs. the printed copy.

Now, I have reduced my monitor's brightness & contrast. Also changed the gamma setting on it. For now, what is on the screen closely matches the prints. However, everything feels DARK! I just realized that calibrating the monitor is a very important step. What may look nice on my screen, may not be the same on another screen.

Where can I download those software for monitor calibration?
Old 08-23-2009, 04:45 PM

Frosty, here is a link to purchase.

http://www.adorama.com/ICVS3P100.html it cannot be downloaded as you need the hardware to go with the software.

Also your printer could use an upgrade

15 years old What Os do you use on your computers? Im suprised a 15 year old printer even has drivers for a modern os.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:21 PM

Thanks zzziippyyy! I'll pick it up in a week or so.

I am running on Vista Ultimate, and the printer runs just fine. I use the printer to print my school papers 99% of the time, that's why I haven't bothered with an upgrade. Any suggestions on an inexpensive photo printer? I guess I'll just keep the HP for school paper duties.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:36 PM

Price shop on the spyder, you may find a used one for less. As far as a printer. How large do you want to print. I spologize i dont know the nikon line so i do not know the resolution of thie files you can shoot. But for a printer the Canon PIXMA iP4600 is a nice choice for up to 8x11 prints.

I use a Canon PIXMA Pro9000 and can print up to 13 x 19 prints i love it. There are many choces out there. Some of the other forum members im sure will chime in and give you some more opinions soon.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:08 PM

The D5000 shoots at 4288x2848 in RAW. The largest I'll print for now is 8x11.