Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

EOS 7d tomorrow!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EOS 7d tomorrow!

On top of the anticipation of getting it, I'm super worried about what's in the box when it comes...

The place I ordered from was super shiesty - thundercameras.com. I saw a good price ($1,160)for the 7d body on nextag and checked their website, but low and behold, there is an error when you click "Add to cart."

So I give the place a call and tell them I wanna place the order and they tell me that the the advertised price was for the "gray market" version that is imported and has a "cheap plastic body" and that the price for the US version is $200 more because it comes in a magnesium alloy body.
So at the time on the phone, I was 99.999% sure that there was no difference in the import and US version, and I figure that $1,360 for a 7d body is still a good deal.

I should have trusted my gut and hung up the phone right then, but I proceeded. Then he offers me a "SUPER HIGH SPEED 8GB CF CARD" and I tell him "no thanks, I got a 16gb from my 50d." He then proceeds to tell me that the 7d takes a special CF card and that mine will not fit. Now at this point I know hes full of shite, but I did plan on selling my 50d with the 16gb card included, and he's offering me a 8gb for $60, so I go with it.

The next day I call Canon directly 3 different times and ask 3 different reps if there is a diff in the "gray market" version and the US version, and they all plain and simple said NO. The ONLY difference is the warranty.

I call back thundercameras to either get the advertised price of 1,160 or cancel my order and politely ask to speak with a manager and end up getting the same guy I spoke with that placed my order. I tell him that he was wrong about the cheap plastic body and that Canon said there were no legit 7d's produced with plastic bodies. He gets pissy and calls me a liar, and then says he can cancel my order but there is a 10% restocking fee. I also called him out on the CF card and he said that I misheard him.

By this point I am furious. So I hang up and call back an hour later and ask the gentleman who answers how many people work at their business and he replies "over 300."

So I dont give my name or order number, and ask to speak with the general manager.

AND GUESS WHO I GET ON THE PHONE! The same flippin guy I spoke with the other 2 times. I ask him if the package has been shipped yet and if I can get my tracking number. He said that it HAD BEEN SHIPPED THE DAY PRIOR on the 15th and I would get my tracking number before the end of the day.

2 days later I get an email that the package had been shipped on the 19th.

We shall see
Old 04-22-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10% chance of u getting a camera
20% chance of u getting a brick in a box
70% chance of u getting nothing
Old 04-22-2010, 11:33 PM

Sorry you had to go through all that. If you paid with a credit card, I would just go ahead and file a dispute and try to get your money back.

Place your order either with B&H photo or Adorama. Honest people and great service.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:02 AM

Amazon. I found several places for cheaper, but I wasn't going to risk putting up with this shit. For $1560 I had it the next day. (Minus a $400 rebate they were running.)
Old 04-23-2010, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by s2kupo,Apr 22 2010, 11:00 PM
10% chance of u getting a camera
20% chance of u getting a brick in a box
70% chance of u getting nothing
Let me rephrase -

100% chance you'll get the camera.
10% chance you'll get all the accessories that are SUPPOSED to come with the camera in the box (battery, charger, strap etc).

This is a classic bait and switch scam. Advertise the body at a super low price, make the order, call in to confirm, and the guy tries to sell you all the extras at ridiculous prices - batteries, chargers, CF cards - and when you try to cancel, you get charged a restocking fee.

I'll wager a 50mm prime that these guys are affiliated with the infamous Broadway Photo. Google them to see what I mean.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:25 AM

from what i have learned recently.

buy your stuff at new egg.

you dont have to pay taxes there and the prices there are better then b and h.

case in point:

new egg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16830120383

B and h: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6469...LR_Digital.html

main point is no tax and very cheap shipping.

check out the difference between prices on the same lens:

b and h
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2344..._8L_IS_USM.html

with tax and shipping: $ 2,067.54

newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16830998377
with tax and shipping: $ 1,808.49
Old 04-23-2010, 06:24 AM

I agree. Any of the following

Newegg
B & H
Adorama
Ritz
Amazon

Whichever one is the cheapest for everything go with. All equal otherwise.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:40 AM

I ordered my 7d from cameta camera and everything worked out fine. They were the cheapest(reliable looking) place I could find at the time, and I think they're actually cheaper now than when I bought my camera.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:42 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

This is not going to end well.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:22 PM

So I got my camera after I had to go to the local UPS hub to pick it up since I missed their delivery (I swear to god they lightly tap on the door, wait 5 seconds then leave.) Everything looks to be in order except that I'm sure just to piss me off, they gave me a EUROPEAN PLUG FOR MY BATTERY CHARGER. Whatever, I just swapped the cords out with another cord I had.

Took a few pictures and so far so good

Quick Reply: EOS 7d tomorrow!