Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

How TYC does Rig Shots!

Old 04-17-2009, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How TYC does Rig Shots!

I've gotten a few PM's lately about how to start doing rig shots. And I'm going to lend a helping hand. Anything after that, you're on your own. You cant be spoon fed all the time you know? Most photographers on this level will not like what I'm doing but ****'em. I try to give back what I take.

So here we go....How do I do my rig shots. First I start out with:

2 Avenger 1000
3 Manfrotto Super Clamp
1 Manfrotto Magic Arm
1 Custom T6 Aluminum Pole(the choice is yours)
Canon XTi (lightweight)
Canon 10-22f3.5 lens(Ultra Wide Angle)
Canon Remote Wireless Remote(wired is fine)

Pictures below are the Avenger 1000 suction cups that will suck harder then Angelina Jolie on a horny day. Along with the Manfrotto Clamps, which will grip better then a virgin jail bait's......LOL.

This is the infamous Magic Arm who many think they dont want to fork over the money for but it's not called Magic Arm for nothing. This is my exact setup below.

Once you get all that, the fun begins.

First setup your suction cups on the car: See below your one and only sexiness at work.

Make sure the suction cup is on there correctly. Over $1000 is depending on this(your camera and wide angle lens)

Now attatch your 2nd piece of pole if you have two. Clamp on the magic arm.

Now connect your camera and adjust and position the camera to how you would like your picture to come out. (slant, verticle, horizontal...etc)

Now this is the moment of truth, make sure everything is connected tightly and properly.

Now you are ready to go! Give it your best shot and it should look something like this. (The vignetting on the corner are caused by me using 2 filter's stacked on top of eachother to deal with shooting in mid day with overcast skies. Without it all you'll see is white.)

UNEDITED BESIDES RESIZE

If it makes you feel any better, that is only the easy part. The hard part comes when you open up that picture in your editing software and you say "HOW THE **** AM I GOING TO GET THAT RIG OUT OF THE PICTURE!" LOL. All I can say is have fun....cause I even hate thinking about it. In the end, it should look something like this. (These are two different picturs obviously, just had to scrap up an example quick)

So there you have it. Knock yourself out and dont forget those who helped out along to way to success!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good shit adam

i know a lot of photographers like to keep these things hush hush. but i'm glad you are able to lend the amateur photographers a helping hand
Old 04-17-2009, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by hk_s2k,Apr 17 2009, 03:12 PM
good shit adam

i know a lot of photographers like to keep these things hush hush. but i'm glad you are able to lend the amateur photographers a helping hand
I know I'm shooting myself in the foot and killing my business but all I can do is rely on respect, loyalty and quality to keep my customers coming. In the process earn some respect from other photographers for sharing this with them, because I know when I was learning it, rarely you'd find someone who would tell you anything.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How is the car moving in the picture? Is someone pushing it, is it downhill, etc...

Good write up

btw you have dust on your sensor
Old 04-17-2009, 03:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by General Kratos,Apr 17 2009, 03:25 PM
I know I'm shooting myself in the foot and killing my business but all I can do is rely on respect, loyalty and quality to keep my customers coming. In the process earn some respect from other photographers for sharing this with them, because I know when I was learning it, rarely you'd find someone who would tell you anything.
Most people won't invest the time/money it takes to build a rig anyway...so you're probably good. I've done alot of searching around...and you can find some good stuff on rig building if you look. Here's one of the more extensive ones i've found:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=490505
Old 04-17-2009, 04:07 PM

I agree. That's a great thread. Building a rig requires a lot of investment and commitment so I know what you're saying. Man, I wished I found that thread before I built my 3 failed rigs.....all underbody!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

That first one is a bit soft. Do you push the car with the engine off or do you actually drive the thing? Engine off minimizes vibration and movement which leads to the somewhat bendy pole oscillating.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:28 PM

never got the big deal about rigs and why ppl like to keep it hush hush lol...i mean jeez it can't be that hard to figure out

nice post Kratos
Old 04-17-2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Borbor,Apr 17 2009, 06:28 PM
never got the big deal about rigs and why ppl like to keep it hush hush lol...i mean jeez it can't be that hard to figure out

nice post Kratos
I'm sure it's competition. If you know how to do something that someone else dont know how and you are always the go to guy....why give it up? So they dont share it when you ask.

And by the way, it was pretty hard to figure out. You can think of it easily, but making it work.....man, totally different story.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by e3opian,Apr 17 2009, 05:17 PM
That first one is a bit soft. Do you push the car with the engine off or do you actually drive the thing? Engine off minimizes vibration and movement which leads to the somewhat bendy pole oscillating.
I usually just have the driver drive it. But from now on, if I can notice any vibration on the pole, I'm going to have him turn off the engine and I'm going to push it. I learned my lesson with this last photoshoot with a Supercharged Corvette C6.