Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Polarizering Filter

Old 09-24-2009, 03:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Polarizering Filter

Hey guys, I like to look at certain things in my polarized sunglasses......for example car looks great through 'em so I figured I would buy one for my camera. I also love what it does for the sky so I went ahead and got one from B&H. Can someone explain the 90 degree rule? Basically I want to take a picture and I want the sun to be directly to my right and left?

B+W 67mm (MRC) CIRCULAR POLARIZER FILTER

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=B...itialSearch=yes
Old 09-24-2009, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- install
- focus on subject
- turn filter while looking through the eye piece
- say "wow" about 15 times
- have less-reflective pictures

This is all you need to know.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hahha thanks, that was classic
Old 09-24-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by VisualEchos,Sep 24 2009, 04:38 AM
- install
- focus on subject
- turn filter while looking through the eye piece
- say "wow" about 15 times
- have less-reflective pictures

This is all you need to know.
shit, I never knew you can change the effect on a polarized filter...

I just went out and tried it...WOW!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a Hoya HD Circular Polarizer.... it works great for outdoor only..
Old 09-24-2009, 05:15 PM

Old 09-25-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are the type of filter it pays to spend some money on. Or put another way, you often get what you pay for. Get a well-made multicoated one that is large enough to fit on most of your glass with some step-down rings. I use a 'thin' version from B+W.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are 2 types of polarizers and I will explain the difference here.

Polarizers come in two varieties: Linear and Circular. Each has the same effect visually; the difference is just in the way they polarize the light passing through the lens. If you own an auto focus or auto-exposure camera (basically any modern camera), use a Circular polarizer, which won't interfere with its automatic functions. Digital cameras in general do not have reflection mirrors, and, as a result, can use both (linear or circular) polarizers.

LINEAR
Produces deeper colored blue skies, which at the same time creates a striking contrast with white clouds. Minimizes light reflections from glass and water Reduces glare from non-metallic surfaces. Provides a general color saturation to both cool and warm tones. Can be used in extremely bright light situations to reduce the amount of light entering the camera; this enables more selective depth of field control. Manufactured in self-rotating and drop-in formats. Note: using a Linear Polarizer on an auto focus camera with a beam-splitting meter will result in under-exposure of approximately 2-3 f:stops. Light is polarized by both the filter and the beam-splitting meter which results in double polarization. However, Linear Polarizers can be used with both non-auto focus and auto focus video cameras.
Light Loss: 2 f:stops

CIRCULAR POLARIZER
Provides the same filter effects as a Linear Polarizer, but is designed to work with auto focus cameras with beam splitting metering. The Circular Polarizer has linear polarizer construction plus a built-in "Wave Retardant" to ensure proper exposure. The linear element polarizes the light, and the wave retardant de-polarizes it, and then the beam-splitting meter polarizes the light again for proper exposure. The use of a Linear Polarizer with a beam-splitting meter will result in underexposure.

Also use this simple tip Since the effect of a polarizer is most pronounced when it is used perpendicular to the light source (the sun usually), try this trick... Make an "L" with your thumb and forefinger. Point your forefinger at the sun and your thumb will point in the direction that the polarizer will have its greatest effect. You can rotate your thumb around the axis of your forefinger, pointing the lens in any of these directions will let you take full advantage of the polarizers capabilities. Polarizers have little or no effect when they are used in the same direction as the light source.

Hope this helps.