Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Protection

Old 08-16-2009, 09:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Protection

Ever since I got my 40D and I'm out taking pictures in weird random places do you guys ever pack something for protection? I always carry a nice 6 inch pocket knife every time I go out exploring with my camera. Its not that I live in a bad place or anything you shit happens and I just want to protect myself if something happens.

anyone else do this?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:01 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Yes, I dress low profile, carry minimal cash and equipment, etc etc. Always stay very aware of my surroundings, try an know some locals or even have a handler in some cases if I'm overseas.

One time I was shooting in an industrial area, and spotted a couple rottweilers off leashes, so I headed back to my car. They actually started chasing me in my car, so I accelerated to get away from them over a bridge, and ended up at a huge black bbq - interesting way for a white guy to make an entrance to a party!
Old 08-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thankfully i have never had an issue. Although i do live and shoot in an area the has lesser population.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, FL has pretty lax weapons laws. If you want to be safe, make sure you carry something a legal length, and clipped on your belt or pocket or something so that it's visible; otherwise if it's in your bag, it's technically a concealed weapon.

And yes, I always have a folding knife on me, usually a relatively short length. My concern is mostly for loose dogs, not people. Dogs won't have other weapons, but with people, you don't want to be bringing the knife to the gun fight, so to speak.

One last thing - the person who wins a knife fight is the one who gets out of the hospital first.

Speaking of protection...