Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Buying a Car from the Prairie Region?

Old 05-03-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Car from the Prairie Region?

Hello Fellow Prairie Redliners,

Due to the local shortage of S2000's that are mint with low KM's from Vancouver B.C. I've decided to look for a newer model in other province's.

My only question to your fellow members is the following:

Do you think it's ok buying a car from the Prairies, like Regina or Winnipeg, considering there are really harsh winters? the only main concern for me is the car might start rusting after 5 years or something a rather, Or should the undercoating protect that? Saving a few thousand isn't my main concern, my main concern is i'm not going to be buying some winter LEMON from another province, I guess it's the fear of going outside of what you know to buy a car from somewhere else.

Just like when importing from the US, but at least in Canada there is warranty and you kind of know what weather there is.

I would also like to mention that it seems as thought it might SCREW over the resale value of the vehicle as well.

I've seen this happen to some cars from ontario in the past, but I assume most S2000's don't even go out in winter to be driven around as they wouldn't be able to handle the weather...

All your opinions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated from all people out there who have the cold winters

Thank you,

JL
Old 05-03-2006, 10:56 AM

I drive mine all year round. It's an '00 and I have 92,000km's on it. No sign of rust and the car is officially 6.5 years old. The car is no problem driving in the winter as long as you have the right tires. That being said I still think that most don't drive their cars during the winter. You might be able to find a good one in the prairies.

If yellow is your color, LUV2REV has had his for sale (I think Brady still has it?) and that car is mint with ULTRA low km's.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by racerfan,May 3 2006, 11:49 AM
I assume most S2000's don't even go out in winter to be driven around as they wouldn't be able to handle the weather...
Probably "most" S2000s are not driven around here, but quite a few are. This is a fine daily driven winter car.
Although you must inspect a prospective buy carefully, you are making too big a deal over this rust thing. Go take a look at one of your local S2000s driven in Vancouver rain. You'll see all the suspension components coated with a layer of rust. This is inconsequential rust that all cars have. Ours look no worse. The S comes from the factory with very good rust protection. Only when the underside has been damaged would you see any rust that would be cause for alarm.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:25 AM

Thanks xviper, Maybe just dropping like 35-40g's on a vehicle from out of town is something that just bothers me in the back of my mind. I just needed some reassurance from some people who lived in those regions, it's like how people say eastcoast cars from ontario are always cheaper and so forth, I just don't want to be making a 35g + mistake when I purchase the vehicle and so forth.

It's basically I'm thinking if I kept this car for 2-3 years what would it be worth afterwards considering it came from somewhere else.

I've looked into buying from the US region a lot of times, it just isn't justifiable as I don't have any warranty and also need to convert a few things and it seems more of a hassle then buying up in canada.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I would say you should do your homework. I have never seen an S2000 driven in Regina in the winter. I think a few in saskatoon do.

If mine was for sale me thinks it would be the cream of the crop! I can't get 11 000 KM on this thing, the odometer will not move. hehe

If you happen to find one, we have PR folks in Winnipeg, Regina, Stoon, and AB.. so someone could check it out for you. If would say you can trust the senior folks in the PR forum to give you a honest opinion.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:03 PM

The prairies are dry, and my aging and wrinkling skin can attest to this. Rust is not a problem here. On the other hand, I would avoid a used car from humid locations such as S.Ont or Quebec.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikerpm,May 3 2006, 11:56 AM
I drive mine all year round. It's an '00 and I have 92,000km's on it. No sign of rust and the car is officially 6.5 years old. The car is no problem driving in the winter as long as you have the right tires. That being said I still think that most don't drive their cars during the winter. You might be able to find a good one in the prairies.

If yellow is your color, LUV2REV has had his for sale (I think Brady still has it?) and that car is mint with ULTRA low km's.
Still have my 01' Mike. While not officially for sale, you never know for the right price. I just passed 4500 KM's and now have 17 inch 06' wheels on the car. My S has never seen a drop of rain nor snow and can attest to the fact there are many pristine S2000's on the Prairies regardless of whether they are driven in the winter or not.