S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

AP1 > AP2 front bumper convertion parts needed?

Old 09-25-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AP1 > AP2 front bumper convertion parts needed?

I have an amuse replica bumper that I want to replace with an AP2 bumper. Just was going to purchase one new since I can't find a Silverstone AP2 front bumper in decent shape:

List:
Front Bumper
Grille
Honda Emblem
Plate Plugs
Tow Hook Cover

Do I need to get clips for the grille? If so any idea what the part number is?

Anything else to get it to be 100% stock that I may be missing here?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't quote me on this but, i feel like i remember reading that that the fender liners have to be replaced too. I'll see if I can find where I read that.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok... quick search... I hope this helps.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/275...#entry21794962
Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know whether your current bumper was able to use the plastic under cladding / splash shields that the OEM uses to close off the bottom of the nose of the car. These pieces are shown in a different location in the catalogue. If you don't have these then you will need these plastic pieces and the clips (item 37) to hold them in place on the leading edge of the bumper edge. You might want to check a friend's stock AP2 and just compare what is there with what you actually have with your modified bumper as there may be other bits and pieces that you will require.

I would have thought that the Grill would come installed into the new bumper so that you wouldn't need the speed nuts that hold it in place in the bumper (item 33). This is kind of a mickey mouse mounting system - I just went through having to replace the speed nuts with new ones because the old ones had got flexed too much by someone at the factory when they were installing the grill and they weren't tight enough on the pins and kept sliding off and the grill would fall off and float around in the front end. I will be installing a new OEM Lip on my AP2 OEM bumper that I have waiting for me when we get back down to Phoenix this winter and I will have the bumper off and I have been thinking about how I might modify the grill install to avoid this happening in the future without using the speed nuts. I will post pics of the fix I am thinking about if it works but that won't be until sometime in November.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by madcowdk
Don't quote me on this but, i feel like i remember reading that that the fender liners have to be replaced too. I'll see if I can find where I read that.
I can have the shop shave the corners. Otherwise most places are selling the reinforcement for the AP2 for $50-100.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by HS2K.RLS
I don't know whether your current bumper was able to use the plastic under cladding / splash shields that the OEM uses to close off the bottom of the nose of the car. These pieces are shown in a different location in the catalogue. If you don't have these then you will need these plastic pieces and the clips (item 37) to hold them in place on the leading edge of the bumper edge. You might want to check a friend's stock AP2 and just compare what is there with what you actually have with your modified bumper as there may be other bits and pieces that you will require.

I would have thought that the Grill would come installed into the new bumper so that you wouldn't need the speed nuts that hold it in place in the bumper (item 33). This is kind of a mickey mouse mounting system - I just went through having to replace the speed nuts with new ones because the old ones had got flexed too much by someone at the factory when they were installing the grill and they weren't tight enough on the pins and kept sliding off and the grill would fall off and float around in the front end. I will be installing a new OEM Lip on my AP2 OEM bumper that I have waiting for me when we get back down to Phoenix this winter and I will have the bumper off and I have been thinking about how I might modify the grill install to avoid this happening in the future without using the speed nuts. I will post pics of the fix I am thinking about if it works but that won't be until sometime in November.
From what I've read an AP2 on an AP1 will catch about 4 of the holes under it to bolt it down, which should be enough. I think there are 8. The splash Shields are good to get if you are going to get the AP2 lip.

The grille does not come installed with the new bumper. I thought about trying to find an Amuse/ASM replica, but I'm not sure how much a shop is going to charge for fitment of a non-stock item. The replica unpainted would be cheaper than having to buy the grille caps and such.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you want to sell your amuse replica?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done the upgrade when my OG AP1 bumper took some damage.

I got the tow hook cover, grille, bumper cover, and splash shields. That was all the body shop needed and say said it went right on. With a replica bumper you may need more clips.