S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Black Chrome H Emblems

Old 04-06-2011, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgrimm57
Originally Posted by Mocky' timestamp='1300925600' post='20390929
Is there an easy way to get the OEM silver ones off?
Just pull gently and steadily by hand and they will peal off
I used a durag and a quarter
Left no dents too!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by trich101
It should just be little pegs that go through two openings and on the backside is a sleeve that slides onto each peg. Between adhesives and those I don't think there is anything else in your way. I wouldn't think Honda would change that just for the CR.
I'll get some needle nose pliers and try yanking the sleeves out from underneath.
I tried prying it up with my plastic trim remover tool after I removed all the adhesive with dental floss, but it sounded like the emblem was gonna crack if I pried it anymore.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stacey
I'm going to hit up a tint shop to apply a 25~35% tint to the H emblems of my car to get that "black chrome" look, our I'll get them powder coated at a shop. I'll post up the results when I get around to it, school kinda makes it difficult to get anything car related done.

And any safe way to get the emblems removed AND replaced once the work is done?

Edit: just looking for adhesive at this point.
You might want to do a little more research man. Normal tint isn't going to just stick to your emblems, especially with all of the tiny curves and stuff, it just won't work. Even if they got it formed it won't stay. Also you can't powder coat plastic. The part has to be a sort of metal that can have a negative charge on it. When you powder coat the powder has a positive charge, and you ground the part down and make the part a negative charge so the powder sticks. So the powder wont even stick to plastic, and plus the emblems will melt or deform in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Like I said before, just get a can of VHT Niteshades spray tint. You should be able to get it at one of your autopart stores, if not then order it online. It will give it the effect you want, and it will last.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k
Originally Posted by stacey' timestamp='1302162620' post='20439253
I'm going to hit up a tint shop to apply a 25~35% tint to the H emblems of my car to get that "black chrome" look, our I'll get them powder coated at a shop. I'll post up the results when I get around to it, school kinda makes it difficult to get anything car related done.

And any safe way to get the emblems removed AND replaced once the work is done?

Edit: just looking for adhesive at this point.
You might want to do a little more research man. Normal tint isn't going to just stick to your emblems, especially with all of the tiny curves and stuff, it just won't work. Even if they got it formed it won't stay. Also you can't powder coat plastic. The part has to be a sort of metal that can have a negative charge on it. When you powder coat the powder has a positive charge, and you ground the part down and make the part a negative charge so the powder sticks. So the powder wont even stick to plastic, and plus the emblems will melt or deform in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Like I said before, just get a can of VHT Niteshades spray tint. You should be able to get it at one of your autopart stores, if not then order it online. It will give it the effect you want, and it will last.
Damn, I'm a science major, I'm supposed to know this! I didn't think its the same process as gold plating metal *facepalm*. I'll check with one of my SRT buddies, one of them must have VHT...

What about adhesive?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by riegerm3
Originally Posted by trich101' timestamp='1302149395' post='20438797
It should just be little pegs that go through two openings and on the backside is a sleeve that slides onto each peg. Between adhesives and those I don't think there is anything else in your way. I wouldn't think Honda would change that just for the CR.
I'll get some needle nose pliers and try yanking the sleeves out from underneath.
I tried prying it up with my plastic trim remover tool after I removed all the adhesive with dental floss, but it sounded like the emblem was gonna crack if I pried it anymore.
You shouldn't even need pliers, they slide off with your fingers just fine.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, I'm a science major, I'm supposed to know this! I didn't think its the same process as gold plating metal *facepalm*. I'll check with one of my SRT buddies, one of them must have VHT...

What about adhesive?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yeah it happens to all of us. Yeah I remember seeing the VHT spray tint at my local O'Reilly auto part store and it's around $10 a can, but it is way more than enough to do your emblems. Just go by the directions on the back and it should come out really nice. Just be sure not to do heavy coats or anything, the more you spray the blacker it will be. I really think 1 light coat will do the trick and have that effect.

Also from what I have heard, people just use the 3M double stick tape and put on the back of their emblems and it holds them on fine.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by riegerm3
Originally Posted by trich101' timestamp='1302149395' post='20438797
i was finally able to snap them off with some small wire cutters. Damn things were riveted once I popped the rivet it popped right out.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:56 AM

The front one can be a bitch to remove. The rest is much easier since it isn't riveted.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:44 AM

The front one can be a bitch to remove. The rest is much easier since it isn't riveted.
yea, i took a look at the rear emblem and it was just tape holding it down.
I ended up painting it with krylon fusion for plastic a very close match to the other black badges.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:31 PM

I figured that I'd screw up with VHT, so I just got it painted flat black. Will post pics when it gets back from the shop.

Quick Reply: Black Chrome H Emblems