S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Wheel arch rust repair

Old 05-27-2018, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel arch rust repair

So upon removing the rear wheel arch edge trims (which seem like a dirt and moisture trap!) I have found some rust on one side on the edge. As this isn't cosmetically viable as it's not spread to the outside of the arch I was planning on:

- Sanding down the affected area
- use a rust converter to remove all remaining rust
- zink primer
- oem colour top coat
- clean and underseal the whole of the rear arch

Opinions on if this is a good solution I know a lot of people instantly recommend cutting out and replacing the whole section but that seems overkil. Many thanks
Old 05-27-2018, 11:42 PM

Received 346 Likes on 322 Posts

Note : Regular removal of dirt build up from behind the trim helps avoids rust,remove trim and clean ect.
Picture would help assess plan of action ?
Old 05-28-2018, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

below are some photos:

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I understand re: removing them I only just bought the car and it was the first thing I did. Let me know your thoughts!
Old 05-28-2018, 07:57 AM

Received 346 Likes on 322 Posts

Looks ok,
just done mine in one place like that,its only surface rust
& as you suggested
just do as above,no need to cut anything out ect..
Old 09-01-2019, 08:55 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

My integra had the exact same issue, and has the same design as the S2000 on rear wheel well arches. Your plan is perfect and I did pretty much the same. Sand it down to clean away all rust, I applied rust converter for good measure. I applied a rust killer primer. Then top coated over that. I then coated the entire wheel well arch with rubberized undercoat/rocker guard. I applied the rubberized coating with a small paint roller, You can spray into a plastic tray and use a paint roller to apply , I also had some of the rubberized rocker guard in a non-aerosol form which just pours out of a can. I like to use a roller to put a generous amount over both sides of the flat arch which is neater than trying to spray it on. You can easily spray the rest of the wheel well once the flat part of the arch is done. You ca get a nice clean edge using a roller, it will seal in the arch and protect from stone chips without the negative effects that the OEM wheel arch liners caused - no trapped moisture. I coated the arches on my S2000 the same way but I didn't have any real rust , but the integra did.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:40 PM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

OP, not sure if you've also removed the rear mudflaps (2 screws) as well. I was amazed at how much crud and a little bit of rust I had down in there even for a non snow state car.

@zeroptzero I love the roller idea, wish I had thought of a more elegant way to apply the 3M coating in the wheel wells... I walked away with like 15% of the can sprayed back all over me in tiny little dots when finished. lol Cleaning it off was not so much lol.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
OP, not sure if you've also removed the rear mudflaps (2 screws) as well. I was amazed at how much crud and a little bit of rust I had down in there even for a non snow state car.

@zeroptzero I love the roller idea, wish I had thought of a more elegant way to apply the 3M coating in the wheel wells... I walked away with like 15% of the can sprayed back all over me in tiny little dots when finished. lol Cleaning it off was not so much lol.
Yup, I understand how those dots of spray material end up everywhere, it's like you end up with material on areas where you weren't even aiming. I got some on my exterior body, it came off easily with Turtle wax bug and tar remover. After that I resorted to the roller and it worked much better on the lip. Inside the wheel well you can spray it all over without too much worry but as you approach the lip edge using a roller is cleaner IMO.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:10 PM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

When I resealed my rear arches I never took the rubber molding off as I wasn't aware there could be a problem. Coming back from the garage just now, how exactly do you pop them off? Do you just push them straight back or is there a nicer way so they can be easily reused and not broken or cracked.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
When I resealed my rear arches I never took the rubber molding off as I wasn't aware there could be a problem. Coming back from the garage just now, how exactly do you pop them off? Do you just push them straight back or is there a nicer way so they can be easily reused and not broken or cracked.
They just slide off, they are a friction fit, and metal reinforced, they will be a bit tight after not being moved in a few years. Get one corner loosened a bit with a small screwdriver, and then just start pulling them off with your hands by pushing towards the wheel well. They won't break as they are metal reinforced.